Magic Magnet

Hi Dave, I just purchased a 2006 e2 and I have a problem with the speed. The speedometer shows the top speed at 25 but GPS shows the speed is 19 MPH. Does you MM give me a little higher speed without changing out anything else.
Thank you

I don’t know what could have changer you speedometer to read high, but the MM will correct it.
Lowering the speedometer to match GPS.

Thank you, will my speed increase beyond 25 without changing anything else.

It can, as speed is limited to speedometer reading of 25.
It will not add any power or speed, but will move the limit up to 25 or even more.

Are you sure its not 25kph and stuck in turf mode?
Does it go slower in turf?

In high the reading is 25 on speedometer and 19 on GPS, in low (I guess turf mode) the speedometer shows 21 and GPS 16. I checked GPS in old golf cart, shows 15, so I think it is accurate. I’ll double check with a car.

I just sent you PayPal money. Once installed will it go 25 or higher on GPS and speedometer or does the controller have to be reprogrammed?

It will go faster unless something is wrong with it. What can you tell me about the cars history?

MPH, correct?

I bought it a couple of months ago, the person I bought it from got it from someone else, so no history. The speedometer is set on MPH.

···

From: Inwo via Electric Forum electricforum@discoursemail.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 1:52:42 PM
To: jcbellis@outlook.com jcbellis@outlook.com
Subject: [Electric Forum] [PM] Magic Magnet

Inwo
July 7

It will go faster unless something is wrong with it. What can you tell me about the cars history?

Jcbellis:

25 on speedometer

MPH, correct?

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, Jcbellis.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Interesting observation, when I first push the accelerator the speedometer goes up to 30 MPH and the GPS shows 25 MPH for about 5 seconds, then everything goes back 25 on the speedometer and 19 on the GPS.
I can keep pumping the accelerator and the speed goes back to 30 on the speedometer.

···

From: Inwo via Electric Forum electricforum@discoursemail.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 1:52:42 PM
To: jcbellis@outlook.com jcbellis@outlook.com
Subject: [Electric Forum] [PM] Magic Magnet

Inwo
July 7

Jcbellis:

25 on speedometer

MPH, correct?

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, Jcbellis.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

MM will not help intermittent problems. You hadn’t mentioned that it works sometimes.
Sounds like a broken magnet or bad sensor.

Easy to fix broken magnet or bad sensor? Since I can get a steady speed of 19 MPH without pumping the accelerator would the MM get it up to 25? Might have to live with it.
Thanks

Assuming you have a 5hp GE motor
I have a working a theory when a ring magnet cracks in the right spot it will create another n/s pole. This symptom fits the description.

Essentially turning a 4 pulse magnet into a 5 pulse.

To check this, pop off the big black cap on the end of the motor and examine the ring magnet that is pressed on the motor shaft and look for a split. Don’t try to remove it right now or it will come out in pieces.

If you want to tinker a bit (at the risk of disabling your car until you get a new ring magnet and Dave’s MM) go ahead and break it and only stick in half. A tiny bit of superglue should keep it from flying off. Once glue is set, put the sensor back in place and see if it works or if it drives the controller nuts.

Disclaimer:

1. Obviously it may make a bit of a mess to clean all the glue off the shaft for when the new magnet arrives.

2. If the magnet flies off it may take out the sensor.

1 Like

Thank you, where can I get a new magnet in case it falls apart?

First- Verify what motor you have(I guessed at what probably came in it from Factory, who knows what the car has been through with the past owners).

Others can correct me if I am wrong,
There are two basic types of speed sensors.

• The flat (on GE motors) takes a ring magnet sorta tight fitted to the shaft
  • the top hat (other motors) takes a disc magnet, held on the end of the shaft with a bolt.

@Old_Houseboater usually has a stock on these.
Your local cart shop might be able to set you up.
Amazon has a few different choices.

Use keywords like “GE motor speed sensor magnet”

Hi David, did you receive my PayPal payment and is the MM on the way? If it doesn’t work on my GEM can I install it on my EZ Go golf cart?

Yes, it works on any dc sepex motor with 3 wire speed sensor.

We will be ordering a 2020 e4. Will the MM work with it?

I meant 2022 instead of 2020

Unfortunately no.
I know of no easy fix for the new Gems.
Can you order with a big motor? It may come with the 6.5kw like my EL-hd.
Lowest cost for speed is gears.
I’m programming a new controller for my 2018 as we talk. That will get you to 35mph with only controller swap. Not a perfect solution by any means, as speedometer function is lost. (as of now)