Looking at two Gems trying to decide which one to buy

trying to decide which Gem I should purchase there is a 2002 and 2008 for sale in my area the 2002 is $2,500 less then the 2008

1 Like

2008 is worth $5k more. No question. IMHO

i own both now, get the 2008.

1 Like

The asking price for the 2008 is $6,500 is that a good price

It depends on how you will be using the cart, what your skill set is, what is in your toolbox, and what your budget is.

Do your research and make sure you know what you are getting into. There is a great difference between the Gen1(00~04) and Gen2(05~14) cars.

Learn from the adventures of others. Many have been tempted by the lure of cheaper(even free) early cars. Here is a good start:

The other thing I was wondering is neither of them have a title is that a problem

I have a 2002 Gem and I love this golf cart. I had to spend an an $3000 (on top of the golf cart) for Lithium batteries. It was well worth the purchase. It gave me 30-35 miles of range and I don’t have range anxiety like I used to.
Make sure you take the battery cost into account of your budget when you buy one of these carts. More likely or not you will need new batteries and they are quite pricey. @AssyRequired helped me install the battery. Awesome install!

1 Like

I would not buy it unless they have the title. They can easily request a new title from the DMV online.

This more/less depends on how the car will be used and where you are located. Does it have at least the MSO? (Manufacturers State of Origin?)

If you need it to street legal then it may be an issue with your DMV. (depending on which state you are in).
Some states are easy, some are very tough/next to impossible.
There are a few specialty shops that seem to know the proper loopholes but it is questionable as to how legal their methods may be.

When I bought my car it had not ever been plated, sold several different times, used privately (not on public roads), but had just enough paperwork to jump through the hoops but it did have $960 of misc DMV fees to get it done. I an in SoCal which explains alot.

Some states are way different in how they treat these little cars. Some communities are even built around the use of them.

Yes I am in Rhode Island they are very difficult here

One alternative is to have a friend in a neighboring state and register it there for a while (if it is easier). Then jump it into your name and state later.