Lithium Conversion

Yes, I do.
Is it a sure thing? Need to pull my Ebay listings.

I’ll be there Monday morning if that works for you?

Yes, that works.
Dave

Excellent. You have a phone number I can call or text when I get close? I’m shooting for mid morning.

Also, do you take payment via PayPal? It will save me from having to drive around with a ton of cash.

Prefer cash. Check is ok too.
PP friends and family to hokahbarb@gmail.com

5 x 5s modules = $1250
Dave

Dave

I’m leaving the cities heading your direction now. Where exactly am I going?

You should hit I-90 when you head south.
Turn south before I-90 crosses river.
Straight through LaCrescent on hwy-16 <10 miles to my door.
I’m the first house on Hwy 44 in Hokah. West side of the road.

100 Falls st Hokah Mn. 55941
Next to playground.
Turn right west at Falls st. Gem El by my garage.

See you about 11:30.

I won’t be far away.

@LithiumGods, Tyler just picked up 5 x 5s modules.
He is going to drop them in and use DQ gel charger.
Instructed him to check voltages after 4 or 5 hours, and stop charger if a cell goes high. I gave him a 2a lamp to load the high cell if needed.
This should be a great test of a drop-in battery.

Got the conversion done. So much lighter and much cleaner looking. Charging the batteries now, I’ll check them every couple hours to make sure they don’t overcharge. I’ll let you know how it turns out image|375x500

3.65v is the magic number. 3.7v won’t hurt them.
Then if charger finishes cycle, you’re done.
I hope Michael checks in.

keep us posted

So, hooked them up and started charging. I periodically checked them and they never got higher than 3.47 or so. After about 6 hours the charger cycled off. I checked them then and they all registered 3.35 or 3.36. Is that typical that they’d register that low when not actively charging. I cycled the charger back on to see if I can fill them a bit more. I’ll continue to watch and make sure they don’t overcharge.

Thoughts on this?

Yes, normal to drop back. The voltage doesn’t indicate state of charge.
6 hours at 10 amps is pretty close to a full charge.
Now to see if you get enough range. They drop off fast on the bottom, so it’s hard to know when they are empty. Nothing left under 3v.
Try not to get stranded and kill the batteries getting home. They are ok down to 2.5v, but one may go super low and be damaged.
Stop and make random checks until you get a feel for miles. Michael says 20. Be carful after 10 until you know how much juice your car takes.

I’m testing 20 cells for a local 48v golf cart. Only need 16-18, but charging two 10s modules.

Here is were they are after 15 minutes at 10 amps.
If you get jealous, this bluetooth display/balancer is only $150.
I have balance turned off to see how it does.

ps. Only monitors 24s.
It may make sense for you to drop back to 24s, with your charger. I’m not 100% sure they are full.
See what Michael thinks.
One thing for sure, you are not over charging.

So checking range is gonna be an issue for a few days, just got about 18” of snow. Grrr.

That display/balancer looks pretty cool. I’ll see how these charge/discharge and then decide if it’s something I need.

Stupid question, when you say monitor 24s what do you mean by that? Only check the voltage on 24 of the series’? Or is there some setting I need to change with my charger?

Disregard…I see that you’re saying the Bluetooth display only monitors 24s.

Yes, but Michael is using it on more cells. A few need to be checked manually.
He is actually running these in his Gems, so trust what he says.
If you get enough range, you’re done.
Pretty simple heh?

Can I make this public to help others?