Lists of Alternative and Superseded Parts

Please send an image of the damage.

Did you ever come up with brake wheel cylinder seals?

The wheel cylinders are so inexpensive that I just buy them from NEV Accessories.

I wonder if anyone from GEM reads these forums? GEM’s parts and service departments had improved in recent years until the Polaris takeover. I guess we just live in a throw away society.

There used to be a “shadow user.” whose advise always ended in a suggestion to use the GEM dealer for parts and service. Must have been a salesperson hired to monitor the forum. I would often contradict the advice and offer the alternatives found in this list. The “lists of alternative and superseded parts” has been my favorite thread to continuously update, often with ideas contributed by others.

Daniel

I recently joined the GEM forum after buying a “project” GEM. I quickly learned aftermarket or alternative parts are hard to come by.

After spending an hour or so at a NAPA warehouse, I found the rear wheel cylinders from a 1996-1997 GEO Metro are dimensionally very close to the original GEM cylinders. The cylinders themselves are not interchangeable but I found the rebuild kits are a near-perfect fit although the outer dust boot is a snug fit over the cylinder casting.

A week of short trips and excessively hard braking has resulted in absolutely no sign of leakage and the brakes work fine. I realize a week’s time is not a long term test but so far, so good. I felt it was worth a $4 try.

NAPA does not have rebuild kits for these cylinders but they are available from Dorman, also known under the True Torque name from O’Reilly, Amazon and Ebay. The part number is 351924.

Please use the above information at your own risk. They work for me but I can’t be responsible for your repairs!

Happy motoring…

Steve

Dorman 351924 crosses to NAPA United number 1924. Please advise after a few weeks if the seals are dry. I will try these at our next opportunity. The caliper seals I have listed are still good after five years of daily use.

Daniel

Was this # for the rear or front wheels. Bores are different front and back.

Note: I have 32 nylon Strut /shock bushings left.

The numbers posted are for the rear wheel cylinders. It would be great to have part numbers for the brake return springs.

I hear Fullriver Battery has OE charger replacements from Delta-Q for half the cost of the OEM.

the 2015’s have h6 bulbs for headlamps

The magnet probably went bad because the motor bearing got hot. Change out the bearing. Dont get the 2 dollar one spring for a Fafner or equal. About 5 bucks at your Local Napa store. Before buying a sensor change out the magnet first. The truck will drive with out the sensor.

Go to Daniel’s initial post in page #1 of this thread. Repair alternatives have been listed for Controllers and Chargers including DeltaQ. This list should be reviewed by all members at least every other month. There is a lot of members money that could be saved just by taking advantage of the information that it contains,

Rodney

1 Like

Daniel , I just wanted to say [B][I]“Thank You”[/I][/B] for taking the time to continue to support this forum. I would be so lost with out the information you and others have pulled together. I have tons of reading to do! LOL Every GEM owner needs to know about this site! Thanks Again!

Donnie :tea:

Replacement Hoodlatch

Southco
Drawl latch part #29212

West marine part number 14473078

$37.99 Ouch

Thanks for the continued input. The draw latch information has been added to the file. West Marine is for convenience, like 7-11. The OEM part numbers in the file will help avoid the high prices.

Daniel

Here is the 110 volt charge port for early gems.
Marinco Onboard Charge Inlet
The only part # I could seem to find was 150BBi
West Marin part # 4889903
$24.99

I took it out of the box and it’s the exact charge port as a gem uses with the exception of the 3 holes in the trim ring that are to screw it down if you choose. It still has the threaded rear with nut

Anyone know what the little switch under the brake pedal is? The micro switch that activates the brake lights.

Depending on the year, one switch turns on the brake lights. Another switch further down turns on the brake warning light. This light only comes on if the brake pedal travels too far because of low fluid pressure.

Daniel

[quote=GEMmechanic;26703]Depending on the year, one switch turns on the brake lights. Another switch further down turns on the brake warning light. This light only comes on if the brake pedal travels too far because of low fluid pressure.

Daniel[/quote]

I have a 2001 and a 2002 that both need the brake lights part.

Also wondering what a good price for shoes is, need 4 sets of 2.

Thanks!