Lists of Alternative and Superseded Parts

Thank you so much for this information. Will these parts work for a 2007 model?

Some will, some won’t. Describe what you need.

I am volunteering at a Fl. state park. It is a low budget park so equipment we get is used, from other parks. Naturally they send us the ones that need work. We received a GEM EL and the motor got real hot and had a burning smell. I took it apart and the motor was full of oil. Checking the bearing & seal on the ‘gear box differential’ you could see it had been leaking. I didn’t take it apart so I’m guessing it is just a bearing & seal, held in by a snap ring.
Also in a blowup of the drive line assembly it shows a “bumper, resilient-differential to motor”. There wasn’t one on there when I pulled the motor off. Where does it mount?
When taking the motor apart the speed sensor magnet just fell apart in pieces. Does it come as a one piece unit with the bearing it is attached too?
Unit info:
GEM EL
Manuf date: 4/23/20087
VIN: 5asal27438f046364
Motor; GE Heavy Duty 5hp 72V shunt DC motor
Model#: 5bc49jb6007
#jaf1d06698

I read your cross reference info but not sure which numbers apply to this unit. As far as I know, these are the items needed:
Bearing & seal
bumper
magnet (and bearing?)

Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide.
DICK
Home Page

Here is a list of parts you will need:

O ring: 9452K148 Mcmaster
bearing: 6661K88 Mcmaster
speed sensor: 122656-01 Club Car
magnet: 122652-01 Club Car
rubber bumper: 0313-00168 GEM

All of these are readily available and inexpensive. You must completely dry out the inside of the motor with a brake parts cleaner such as NAPA 4810. That will take time. A large set of snap ring pliers such as NAPA 3489 is needed to remove the snap ring that holds the input shaft into the transmission. The shaft will pull straight out with vice grip pliers. Be careful not to damage the splines. The bearing will press off with a small puller. A pick will be needed to remove the o ring from the transmission case. The rubber bumper installs into the female splines on the end of the motor. Be sure to remove the remains of the old bumper. Be careful reattaching the power wires to the motor. The studs that the wires attach to and the insulator bushings below are not sold as component parts.

Daniel

Many, many thanks!!!

DICK

Hi Daniel,
I found the bearing at Mcmaster-Carr but can’t find the “O” ring. Possible a typo on the number?

Can’t find the speed sensor or magnet on any Club Car websites. Attachment ‘speed sensor1’ is the one I actually have. It is complete (wires) and I think it will be OK. Attachment magnet1 is a pic of what I found when I opened the motor up. I have found a set (sensor & magnet–attachment magnet4) but no magnet by itself. Is this the correct set? It is listed as ‘old style’.

Attachment ‘button1’ is the best pic I could get and hope that is the button you referenced.

Hoping to get this running by the end of the month for an event we are having.

Thank you again
DICK

I have corrected the McMaster number. The correct number is 9452K148,which is 3/32" diameter, 1 13/16" ID and 2" OD. AS568A dash number is 133. The two Club Car numbers are from another member and appear in this thread in a previous post. The sensor number has been superseded. These are also used on the Club Car Precedent 2004 and newer, which used a GE motor. My golf car dealer was able to find both numbers. See also the thread below.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/4716-wanted-gem-part.html

Daniel

Thanks for the correction, I found the ‘O’ ring.
The sensor/magnet I found says:
"Fits 2003 GEM CAR, CLUB Car Precedent and DS Models with GE MOTORS ONLY."
Would this still work?
Still can’t find them on any Club Car sites. The park has an account with “buggiesunlimited”, would it be under a different # on there?

Thanks again,
DICK

Forgot to ask—Is the bumper in the pic the right one or is there more to it?

DICK

Another member, Gem e2, says they are the same in another thread. I have not confirmed this for myself. Yes, the red arrow points to the bumper, which is also Club Car Precedent part number 1022352-01. Retail is less than $2. The magnet is also available in kit form with a motor bearing as Club Car number 1022657-01. I do not know if this GE commutator bearing is the same as that used on the GEM. Retail is about $50. It appears that the Yamaha G29 also uses this sensor.

Daniel

Thanks again,

DICK

[quote=GEMmechanic;19889]I have corrected the McMaster number. The correct number is 9452K148,which is 3/32" diameter, 1 13/16" ID and 2" OD. AS568A dash number is 133. The two Club Car numbers are from another member and appear in this thread in a previous post. The sensor number has been superseded. These are used on the Club Car Precedent 2004 and newer,which used a GE motor. My golf car dealer was able to find both numbers. See also the thread below.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/4716-wanted-gem-part.html

Daniel[/quote]

Finally got the ‘o’ ring and bearing. Bearing is correct. “O” ring is way off. We used 9452K148 for the order. Didn’t realize what “AS568A dash number is 133” meant. That is correct. This is an FYI in case someone else needs one. Don’t make the mistake I did.

Still looking for the speed sensor. State park can only order from authorized vendors.

Thanks again,
DICK

Found all the parts and put everything back together. Had to charge the batteries individually then plug in on board charger. Charged up great. BUT–when turning on key I get code 49 (Motor field current is too low during the run mode). Must have been something I did when putting motor back together?? Any advice?

Thanks
DICK

Check resistance of the motor windings with at least one field wire unhooked. Be sure your battery reads 75 or so volts, which is the nominal full charge. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Rusting of the nuts holding down the motor leads causes current leakage and even arcing if enough rust accumulates between the studs. Clean between them with the master switch off. Even better, use stainless nuts.

Daniel

Thanks, I’ll try that tomorrow.

DICK

I finally got to check it again (wife had surgery).

0 resistance

78V

Still throwing code 49

Can feel motor vibrating when trying to move the GEM.

I had cleaned all the connections on the first go around. Checked them again and they are OK & clean.

Thanks
DICK

Daniel, I have a 2002 e825 GEM car with a broken tie rod that I want to purchase a replacement part for. Can you provide a supplier name & phone number or maybe you have and can quote a price? Part # is 0112-0646 Assy, Steering Gear. I also saw part # 0112-00148 Assy, Steering Gear that has the Rack + Pinion Assy with the nuts, bolts & washers. Which makes sense to you?.. and thanks in advance. Dan

Is it the inner or outer tie rod end?

its the outer tie-rod

I’m not sure if the inner or outer tie-rod is broken so I will describe what I see under the GEM car:
The driver side tie-rod appears broke from the left side around the perforated rubber as it hangs down putting pressure on the steering column. The tie-rod coming out of the perforated rubber is straight to the tie-rod end. This weekend I will take it apart and see what I see and report back then. Thanks.