Lipo Aftermarket Power Packs

In my area of Florida we have a unique entity called the “Villages”. It covers an area of square miles and over 110,000 people. The primary mode of transportation is Golf Carts and some LSV’s. The vehicle of choice is Gas powered Yamaha golf carts. The key reason is range. Daily trips of over 25 miles are not uncommon.

GEM and battery cart owners are in the minority due to range constraints. So here’s the challenge.

150+ amp LIPO battery pack with only 2 connections, a Suitable Charger and 7 year life with no monitoring/maintenance. $2000/$3000 or less tops and plug and play installation.

Other than weight and capacity this is typical performance for current Gel installations.

These owners are not impressed by Gadget Freak installations. All they want is range without having to even think about whats under the hood.

This would open up a big market

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;33930]In my area of Florida we have a unique entity called the “Villages”. It covers an area of square miles and over 110,000 people. The primary mode of transportation is Golf Carts and some LSV’s. The vehicle of choice is Gas powered Yamaha golf carts. The key reason is range. Daily trips of over 25 miles are not uncommon.

GEM and battery cart owners are in the minority due to range constraints. So here’s the challenge.

150+ amp LIPO battery pack with only 2 connections, a Suitable Charger and 7 year life with no monitoring/maintenance. $2000/$3000 or less tops and plug and play installation.

Other than weight and capacity this is typical performance for current Gel installations.

These owners are not impressed by Gadget Freak installations. All they want is range without having to even think about whats under the hood.

This would open up a big market

Rodney[/quote]

I’m on it. May not live long enough to get it done.:smiley:
Nearest right now, is Mike/Grant leaf packs.
Bms-24 and control relay prewired to pack.
Standard chargers may work.
May be 3 cable install. Discrete input from charger lead, or ssr controlling 120vac to charger.

Bms-24 looks gadgety, but is plug and play, pretty much.
Using two packs of Leaf cells take lots of room and doubles cost.
Be closer to the $3k mark. IMO

Company selling kits now. Uses 22 discrete cell chargers. Gets very messy, but simple. I’ve done it and know.
Haven’t priced it lately. Betting well over $3k.

Lithium Battery Solutions for all LEV’s

Chargers are >$800 alone from my sources.

http://www.golfcartsforsale.com/blog/lithium-boost-technologies-add-life-gem-polaris-vehicles/

The 180 AH system would meet my range requirements but 22 chargers is mind boggling.:eek:

You got that right. I did 12. Just the ac cord wiring was a deal breaker.

True drop in replacements?
Only need 4 of these for 72v @ 200ah. :eek:

Or get two of these.
Chevy Volt Battery 2KWh Pack Lithium 48v 47Ah Solar Golf Carts EV | eBay

Set them on the floorboards. Connect with jumper cables. Learn all about Li-Ion for not a lot of money.:slight_smile:

[quote=Inwo;33961]Or get two of these.
Chevy Volt Battery 2KWh Pack Lithium 48v 47Ah Solar Golf Carts EV | eBay

Set them on the floorboards. Connect with jumper cables. Learn all about Li-Ion for not a lot of money.:)[/quote]
Same seller offers: 3KWh - 72V - 18 cells - 47Ah With BMS Included - $520
How would that work in a GEM?

Unfortunately, not well.
What he advertises as 72v is actually 66v nominal. It will go to 75v, but most of the energy is below 72v.

It will work however, and for the money, why not?