Last of the mods

if you have to move a GEM… why not with another

Bob

I really wonder about the towing capabilities of a GEM. Mine will spin the tires on wet grass or “chirp” them on dry pavement when I apply power unless I’m really careful. I have to wonder about the loading of the rear wheels, the attendant unloading of the front driving wheel(s) and the torque required to pull any useful load and how that would adversely impact traction. Seems to me that except under ideal conditions (dry pavement, facing downhill), the startup torque would spin the tires.

Al

All good points, Al.
these cars are not really designed to pull any kind of load period. Its more of a try it and if it works for you, fine. if not well, what did you expect? :smiley:
John

GEM and the after market have offered hitches. The dealer should be able to provide what tongue weight and trailer weight is allowed. Also consider the braking capability of the GEM. The “GEM” trailer described below would be interesting to see.

Daniel

I remember the tongue weight was 1000#… it’s kind of rinky dink the way it’s made… my mechanics wanted me to go a machine shop and have a flange made… since he didn’t like that it bolted on the inside of the frame rails… the outside was like an L… on the way to the I stopped at a trailer place and they looked at the directions… said the bolts and hitch on the inside of the frame could hold 1000#… haven’t found a trailer as yet… would love to find one made from either a long or short bed that would match my eS…

Bob

[quote=eS GEM Colo;21968]I remember the tongue weight was 1000#… it’s kind of rinky dink the way it’s made… my mechanics wanted me to go a machine shop and have a flange made… since he didn’t like that it bolted on the inside of the frame rails… the outside was like an L… on the way to the I stopped at a trailer place and they looked at the directions… said the bolts and hitch on the inside of the frame could hold 1000#… haven’t found a trailer as yet… would love to find one made from either a long or short bed that would match my eS…

Bob[/quote]

Hey Bob,
I’m not trying to contradict you, I’m only pointing out a typo for the benefit of those that might not realize you meant 100# not a 1000# tongue weight! :smiley:

John… I am sure in is rated at1000lbs… Big Bang is on or I’d run out and look. :slight_smile:

This is a quote from the 05 manual…
The hitch is rated for 1,000 lb. tow capacity with a 100 lb tongue weight capacity. This product requires the installer to drill four holes in the frame with installation totaling about 30 minutes. Available in 2" receiver hitch only. Draw bar adapter sold separately.

Think about it, if the tongue weight is 1000# what’s the trailer going to weigh? besides that, the e6s is the only one rated to handle the weight and that would be with only 2 passengers on board.

Ok…another reason I get someone else to work on my car… knew there was a 1000 pound something in there somewhere. … ha ha

Bob

[quote=eS GEM Colo;21972]Ok…another reason I get someone else to work on my car… knew there was a 1000 pound something in there somewhere. … ha ha

Bob[/quote]

(chuckle) I know what you mean, with my health issues I can’t do what I use to and its really frustrating. I have the knowledge but not the physical ability.
The only reason I knew it couldn’t handle 1000# tongue weight is because I worked as an RV tech for a number of years. you wouldn’t believe me if I told you how many trailer hitches I’ve installed! Now I get wore out just jacking up the car and removing the tire… I’m done for the day.

btw, I’ll be getting back with you regarding the yahoo group.
cheers,
John

Gentlemen,

I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I am looking into purchasing a new E4 for my Dad in the Villages, and I am considering upgrading the batteries to the 9X8V battery . That is why I posted in the “Modifications” thread. Also because of your obvious knowledge.

My question is, is this 8V upgrade worth doing over the 12V gel batteries, and is it worth the $3K that the dealer is trying to get me for?

I priced the gel batteries at $265 each, and the 8V gels at $290. The price difference would be $1020 according to my calculations, not $3K.

Is there another modification that would be required to account for the other $2K?

Thanks for any input.
Dan

(I have been searching the internet for input, but can’t find anything specific to answer.)

8 volt units give more range. If your using the cart for commercial service it’s worth the upgrade. If your a normal user and plug in regularly, my opinion is, it’s overkill. How ever: If you want the latest and greatest, go for it. Don’t expect to get any thing back at sell time though.

A quality set of Gels give 5+ years of service with no problems. My neighbor has 7 years on his and he still has 15+ miles of range.

7 years is a bunch and he is about to change his out.

What say you?

Thanks for the reply.

It’s for my Dad. He is an everyday golfer, and does quite a bit of driving around. I just do not want him to get stuck. He says he gets 40 miles on his EZGO now, but it is time for a newer cart. (I’m not sure he does get 40 anymore, though.)

Go for the 8 volt units then.

He probably doesn’t need them but he will forever wonder if he doesn’t get them.

You only go around once.:thumb:

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;22285]Go for the 8 volt units then.

He probably doesn’t need them but he will forever wonder if he doesn’t get them.

You only go around once.:thumb:[/quote]

That I how I roll, but he always says he doesn’t “need” it.

I will probably get the upgrade, but try for a deal better than the $3K.

Which dealer?

I am trying to work with Bill Bryan, and Richard Gallop, as I saw that he goes to all the monthly Gem meetings in the Villages. He came in with a really high price, and Beck had given me a great price. I am going to ask him to meet the price.

Richard is outstanding on service.

That’s what I hear, but Dad can always use Richard for the service if I buy it elsewhere new.

I would rather buy it from Richard as well. I am waiting to hear back from him.

hi Dan… welcome… I don’t know how dealers price… you can build a GEM car on line to your Dad’s wants and needs…as I have a used car I don’t know what happens next… if GEM car ships you the car or they go thru a dealer… know that a friend was looking for an e4… went to the dealer and had a case of sticker shock as he had offered her the car for over $15,000… came home and found a used one for a third the price

Bob