Installing a New (Used) Transmission

Hey I got my new USED 10:35 transmission. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for Pre Install.
The Input shaft is good, And Im installing new Input shaft bearings & seal & New Motor rubber bumper,
Was wondering what the recommended gear oil should be? and How much of it, Should I take off the diff cover & clean it all out or just replace the oil and call it a day?

Thanks G

if I was to remove the diff cover, what sealant could you recommend to seal the diff cover back on?

Hey one more thing. The transmission is missing the sticker that has the part number showing it’s a 10:35 transmission. Does anyone have a way to confirm the gear ratio?

Definitely pull cover to clean crud and any old debris. Permatex ultra blue is my old stand by for these surfaces. They also have ultra black that may be more cosmetically suited for your purpose. You can count input vs output turns to establish actual gear ratio. Don’t remember what numbers mean, but there’s a bunch of tables on line. Fill to bottom of fill hole when trans is mounted in its proper location and cart is on flat level ground. Should be well under a quart. I think I still have about half a quart left from my last refill. A pint may do.

Sorry, missed one point, factory has recommended different lubricant specs for different years. Everything from 75 wt gear oil to ATF. In my heat and use parameters, (so cal, drive like a bat out of hell, lithium upgrade) I like gear oil. A good synthetic would probably be a lifetime upgrade depending on your use (abuse).

Gear oil is always around 90 or 100 weight?

Count the input shaft turns for 1 rev of output shafts.
Both shafts must be turned together.
To test ratio in car, roll car 1/4 C of tire.
An analog meter from blk to grn will pulse 10 times for 10/1. 12 times for 12/1 etc.

For more accuracy roll car 4 x 1/4 turns (1T) =40 pulses.

1 Like

One more tip is when applying the permatex seal, only snug the bolts and then wait 24 hours and fully torque. This prevents the sealing material from being squeezed too thin and makes for a better seal.

Yes thank you for the tip I’ve done that on other projects and that works really well. Does it typically take 24 hours for blue or black permit text to dry

SAE 90W gear oil is pretty common, both as a single weight and part of a multi-weight oil. There are many other viscosity classifications too - SAE 75 to 140 is the common range. Careful not to confuse SAE gear oil numbers with ISO numbers, or you’ll probably end up with an oil that is in a different viscosity range than what you were after.

I have a sound meter that records SPL and DB
Just for giggles I’m going to take a sound meter reading with my current transmission and we will see if my DB meter can pick up a noise level different

Barney bought a car with a super quiet transmision.:yum:

Well my Transmission showed up. And just like most of the Girls on the Internet. They look much better in pictures. LOL. This guys Ebay add showed a cleaned up Transmission with a nice painted diff cover. My transmission showed up covered in battery acid the diff cover had a bunch of rust all over it from Being from the East coast. And having not paint to protect it cause that battery acid removed all the paint it was pretty rough. ( normal putting rust) no big deal. I’m just laughing at the “bait and switch” no way it’s a deal killer just requires a bit of cosmetic work b4 she can be installed

Rodney was nice enough to send over a New style imput shaft (no leak) bearing (its the orange one) the 2 bearings sell for $45+5 for shipping. He is a champion even sent over a free rubber bumper! :slight_smile:

Ok so I’ll wait for her to dry and then fingers crossed I’ll install tomarrow

Ok while we are on the subject of Imput shafts. Check out the difference between these 2 notice how the one on the right has almost “sharp teeth” and the other one has somewhat squared off Teeth.

The imput shaft on the Left is in much better condition. This is the one I’m gonna use. Notice on the motor side the same is true. The black one has sharp teeth.

12 Oz Correct ???

Be sure to read the installation sheet on the seal! It goes in what seems backwards and if you get it wrong it will leak and for the life of me I can’t find a replacement that is the same as the one that came with it. I now live with a leak until I break down and order another shaft just to get the seal. Its 1mm thicker than any I can find :frowning:

Hummmm. I think we are talking about 2 different things. I “Think” your talking about a Inputshaft that has a shoulder and a External Seal go’s over the imputshaft and holds back the oil.

The Orange bearing I’m using “supposedly” requires NO SEAL. The Orange seal on the bearing holds back the oil and that’s it. Nothing else. This is from the Transmission god Rodney. He says it works so I’m drinking the kool aid.