Input shaft bearing

We get complaints of input shaft bearing leaks after replacing the bearing.

The seals are different in bearings snd you need to know the difference.

A XXXXRS bearing has a NON CONTACT seal and will pass oil.

A XXXX2RS or XXXXRSS seal has a contact seal and is not supposed to pass oil. How ever many of them do.

The real fix is conversion to the new shaft kit which includes a lip seal.

If you want your existing shaft upgraded to the new configuration contact me.

1 Like

Who is dealing in the input shafts now? Will need one soon in 10.35/1.

Daniel

Daniel

I am

PM me

Rodney

1 Like

What is the best way to remove and reinstall install and new imputshaft?
Is it best to remove the entire Transmission or can the imput shaft be easily removed and reinstalled while the transmission is in the car.

The shaft can easily be replaced with the trans in the vehicle. You will need a large snap ring tool such as KD 3151. The shaft will pull straight out fairly easily. You will also need the rubber bushing and possibly the o ring. There is a different shaft for each gear ratio. The new replacement input shafts with Polaris part numbers will have an open bearing and separate oil seal.

Daniel

8.9 and 10.35 have 27 tooth gear 12.44 have 21 tooth gear

Update:

I have done extensive study on bearings that are available for GEM input shafts. I firmly believe My rework of your shaft with a real seal is the way to go.

HOWEVER: IMHO an NTN 6005LLU - NTN6005LLU/3C - NTN6005LLU/5C bearing stand the best chance of holding the oil in a GEM gearbox.

They are available on Ebay for about $20. After my experience with other types and brands of bearings. I firmly believe this would be money wll spent.

I would surely like to sell my kit but IMO this is the best alternative bearing for the application.

If any of you tech guys want to get into the technical reasons, PM me. (the secrets in the seal contact area)

I sent you an email. My 2005 could probably use a reworked seal please.

Sent you Ebay info for seal

Rodney

I have a 2002 GEM that I am replacing the differential with one I purchased from Grant West, who said that you rebuilt the unit. It does not have an input shaft and I am pretty certain that I will need a new one based the sounds from my current unit. Are you able to supply the input shaft and what information do you need from the differential.

Thanks,

Chuck Holliman
Palm Desert, CA
redprowler@gmail.com

Sorry don’t have any available at present.

In a message dated 4/14/2017 9:13:49 A.M. US Eastern Daylight Time,
electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

_ceholli_ (https://community.electricforum.com/users/ceholli)  

April 14
I have a 2002 GEM that I am replacing the differential with one I
purchased from Grant West, who said that you rebuilt the unit. It does not have an
input shaft and I am pretty certain that I will need a new one based the
sounds from my current unit. Are you able to supply the input shaft and what
information do you need from the differential.
Thanks,
Chuck Holliman
Palm Desert, CA
redprowler@gmail.com

Old_houseboater, could you please send me pricing etc. on your Input Shaft replacement kit? I have a 2003 E825. Michael Renaud (207) 636-6453 mjr7546@gmail.com

Michael

I get $166 for the 27 tooth units. During our move I dropped my last one and put s dent in a tooth. I do have a couple of 21 tooth units left though.

Hello again sir- i think I have decided to take off the motor and see if I
can tell whether it is the motor having too much play to make all the noise
or, if it is the input shaft. I believe NEV Accessories carries a “kit” if
it is the motor, correct? If it is my input shaft, and I purchase one from
you, do you supply the “kit” as I’ve seen that includes the one snap ring
and sealed oil part? Also, I would love to hear any pointers prior to my
"tear-down" for I have never done it before. Any assistance would be
extremely helpful with great gratitude…

Michael Renaud
(207) 636-6453
mjr7546@gmail.com

I’m surprised that there are no videos out there for folks to watch
pertaining to removing and/or replacing the input shafts. I think it would
be extremely beneficial for folks like me that have never attempted it
before. On a fixed income looking to save a few $$$…

The transaxle is very easy to work on. Just make sure you have all the bearings and seals you need before you start.

I just sent you a copy of the Dana Spicer H-12 Transaxle Manual. It’s a PDF and I can’t attach it here.

i would like to give a huge shout out to a couple folks that have been extremely kind & helpful…Rodney & Richard Gallop are two very resourceful guys! I asked questions and got instant correct answers along with exacy ways to perform the tasks I had to do in order to get my GEM car up & running. If you ever need ANY part(s) for your car, i strongly suggest you contact Richard. Great jobs guys & I can’t thank you enough!!

1 Like

Good afternoon sir. Would you be able to tell me what type of controller i
might have in my 2003 E825. Also the difficulty involved in going to a more
powerful one?

You should have a T2, probably the best controller ever put in a GEM.

It should more than cover any reasonable power requirements you will need.

Cal me or email me so I can get the whole story.

Rodney

251-269-3182 rodneyadiehl@aol.com

I have a 1999 GEM E825. I need the imput shaft and engine coupler. Help! Thanks, Gary baja175@sbcglobal.net