How do I find a short circuit?

Hi All,

I am trying to find a open or short circuit that is in a harness with other wires. With so many of you having expertise in electronics, I thouht here would be a good place to post my question. Does anyone have any suggestions how to find this open or short-circuit? :confused:

I am open to the idea of getting a short-circuit-finder. Though I am not sure what features I should look for if I decide to get one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

a) Does anyone know if these work well?

b) What features should I look for If I get one?

c) Do you have any other on a short circuit finder? type, manufacturer, model etc

Below is a link to a site that uses a short circuit finder to find a short circuit, and has information on using one: ttp://inliners.org/tech/tech6.html

Below is a link to a site that tells about how a tone generater is used to find a short circuit, in a home environment (I think this is how most short circuit finders work): http://askville.amazon.com/tone-generator-locate-short-circuit-electrical/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5912724

Thank-you in advnce,

cb

An open circuit and a short circuit are 2 totally different problems. They require different diagnostic methods. The short circuit tone testers do work well but there are some limitations due to routing and location of harnesses. What exactly is the problem you are having. 4th,5th,8th, and 10th digit of the vin would be helpful as well.

I agree your description is too vauge to give a informed opinion. Car wiring problems are very hard to find and require lots of time to trace down. What circut is the problem in? Most problems are because of a bad ground not open wires of circuts, Look at the grounding system first. Also is this car a Electric car or a ICE car? ā€œoriganal engineā€ :cool:

I really appreciate your willingness to help me trouble shoot this problem, is there something in my post that leads you to believe that the problem maybe somewher else, or is just your opinion? Comparing the number of reads to the number of replies shows that others would like to learn this also.

[B]ā€œI am trying to find a open or short circuit on a wire that is in a harness with other wires.ā€[/B] If Iā€™ve narrowed it down to this, I just need to know how to locate the problem so I can fix it.

[QUOTE=new dawn;6382]I agree your description is too vauge to give a informed opinion. Car wiring problems are very hard to find and require lots of time to trace down. What circut is the problem in? Most problems are because of a bad ground not open wires of circuts, Look at the grounding system first. Also is this car a Electric car or a ICE car? ā€œoriganal engineā€ :cool:[/QUOTE]

I donā€™t know if this helps or not. Your ignition switch has more than one hot lead on a normal car. The way I find a short in a wire is to test the wires, you have to know which circut is affected and follow it from there. You will need a wiring diagram of the car. All of the wires are color coded with the diagram and the wiring color you will know where the wire goes in the fuse panel. Without a better knowledge of your particular problem this is the best I can do. Get a ohm tester and follow the wire testing it from point A to point B and you will find the short this will entail opening the harness at several places and using the point to pierce the wire and check for continuity. As far as sounding devices I do not use them. If you ask for help you must be willing to share some informatation so we can evaluate the problem.
new dawn, as in the dawning of a new era
Also the difference between a short circut and a open circut is a short will blow the fuse and a open circut will not unless it is a blown fuseable link.

Thanks that helps. Short circuits have one or more paths around the circuit loop. This creates a melt down on the components or wires. Across the source and the component.

If there will be a short circuit the breaker will help because nowadays breaker are available to predict the short circuit and safely trip down
engine rebuild houston