Green LiFePo4 28s Gem

Yes, spoof is on the way in an envelope.
Look for a 2 wire 100v meter on eBay. <$20
Don’t run below 3v/cell. 84v for 28s.
Leds will tell you if near over charge. Meter the ones that are lit.
3.7v is max. Turn off charger if a cell goes high.

thanks - will look on eBay for that.

As for installation and maintenance - any suggestion for pointers I should know about before I get into this?

And thanks - your help has been awesome, and really fired up to get this going for my family.

Stewart

Don’t charge below freezing.
Do not let a cell go over 3.7v, or much under 3v. Cell is empty at 3v so stop driving. Cell is full at 3.5. Don’t limp it home. No damage until under 2.8v.
Store at any state of charge. Short charge cycles are fine.

In LA, hopefully the freezing won’t be too much of an issue! Assume I just bolt the balancing circuits back on each cell?

One last thing - two of the boxes with batteries in them showed up wet on parts of the outside - when I open them, they are damp inside and inside the bags - not sure of this was protective oil, if they got damp from something outside the boxes or if something in the batteries leaked - but wanted to check if it was anything to be concerned about?

Stewart

On closer inspection, there is definitely some type of slippery oil-type liquid on the cells in two of the boxes…not sure of they leaked or if this is something else.

Not a cause for concern. The cells were stored in the oil. What your seeing is residual. Dave said if the cell was actually compromised it would have a distinct smell. I’ve just wiped my cells down (a few times).

Thanks for the input RS_E6 - I was getting a little concerned there!

They were stored submerged in mineral oil. It never goes away, but it’s harmless.

Watch the polarity. Marked + and -. Led lights when connected.
Check first nut for tightness, then add board with a second not. I thought it wise to remove for safe shipping.

Dave,

Hope all is well. Sorry for the delay in reaching out, but I had an unexpected hospital stay thrown in there for a few days, but happily I am a free man again.

I got out, and the Spoof wire was here - so wanted to let you know I got it and thanks for sending.

One question - how is that meant to be installed? Realize it is a simple install, just trying to figure out what I mam meant to do with it!

Stewart

The spoof allows the car to start when over 86 volts.
Repin #1 wire in 23p connector.
Spoof replaces #1, and the removed lead plugs into the free end.
Power off first!

Dave,

Sorry to bother you - finally getting around to getting the batteries and chargers I bought from you installed. I had a cardiac event, soit put me behind schedule on it, and I have had to have the person who originally built my cart do the installation - he is a very good builder etc.

He has everything installed, new charger, batteries, spoof (he had to soder it in line for some reason on the #1 wire) and everything seems to be charged up - but he has an issue - when he unplugs the cord for charging, the cart still shows the charging symbol, and thus won’t move anywhere?

I am sure this is something simple (sounds like it might be related to the spoof?), but was hoping you could give him a quick call while he is working on it - his name is Mike (310) 427-4687.

Alternatively, feel free to call me - (415) 203-5383 if you are not comfortable talking to him, although he is the one doing the build…

Thanks again, and sorry to bug you on this - almost there. I owe you drinks of you are ever in LA.

Stewart

That should be a simple one. You need to bypass the charger interlock if it’s not connected.
Newer t4 gems need 72v on the green wire from charger.
Older zivan and some DQ use a relay, and the two interlock wires from Gem need to be tied together.

@StewartM, good to hear you’re feeling better.

What year is your GEM?

Dave,

GEM is a 2008, but I believe the builder upgraded a bunch of components on it, and think it has a newer controller, bigger motor etc.

More importantly, really appreciate you taking the time to call the guys yesterday - got it all sorted out, and it is now running like a champ! Faster, doesn’t slow down / bog on the uphills, lighter, etc. All round couldn’t recommend this and your batteries enough - and couldn’t ask for a better experience and help than you provided.

BTW - the guy who built my cart and builds them for a bunch of people in town, took it for a test drive, then immediately phoned me up and said he is definitely doing this to his cart ASAP - if that is not a recommendation, then I don’t know what is!

Will post some pics of the installed batteries this weekend in case it is of help to anyone else looking to do this.

Stewart

What did he do about over voltage code 16? Was the spoof backwards? He never called back.
As I recall, you have 28s green batteries, that I test charged with the balance boards.
If anyone else wants to copy this, I have one set on the shelf. After that I will need a couple weeks notice.
This should make a trouble free system. Watch the leds on the top. At the end of charge cycle some will illuminate showing they are full.
If one comes on way early best monitor it. A weak cell will drain to low and fill too fast.

In honesty, I have no idea what he did to clear that code 16, but whatever he did, it seems to be running like a charm so far.

Tried it out on a pretty big hill that used to crush my cart with the lead acids in it, and with the 28 LifePo4 cells the cart did not slow down at all…not one single bit.

So far - awesome.

Stewart

Inwo,
What amp rating are your batteries? Are they 60 or 80? The ones you sold in this thread? Thanks.

Data sheet says 60 but I believe they typically test out over 70.