GEM moss growing all over

Speaking of water, do any of you get this growing on your GEMs? Am I not driving it fast enough or what and how to stop it from growing?

Flamethrower. Like DUH!

1 Like

Yes the classic gem car MOSS. Can’t tell you have many cars I rescued had the Moss growing from that exact location. Typical cars that are left outside gather dirt in that spot and others along the roof and then Moss. Take a Smaller pressure washer to the roof and the cracks and blast out what’s up there. Messy job. Most sprays back at you :slight_smile: enjoy

1 Like

Weren’t these things being sold as Green Vehicles?

5 Likes

:rofl:
That is so full of win!

One of the first things i did after getting my GEM was caulk all those weird gaps where you have moss growing. I didn’t have moss growing–a bunch of them were leaking-- but it would solve the moss problem too. I used Novalink FP and it worked really well. OSI Quad would probably work well too if you like inhaling solvents.

1 Like

We just got a good dumping of rain today and FrankenGEM had water leaking at the front of the sunroof at the front cross beam on the passenger side so will likely look to do some ‘filling’. This Novalink FP looks interesting.

I also have 3 skylights in a shallow pitched roof on the house and I’m sick of leaks… I’ve put roofing tar(from tube) on seams but it constantly cracks after 2-3 months. Does this Novalink FP stay flexible over time and do you think it could be used around the perimeter of a skylight with rolled roofing around it? I only used maybe 3" flashing when I put that roof on and I really should have went with much much wider flashing given the shallow pitch of the roof.

Its simple wash you car often :joy:

2 Likes

As I was picking the moss out and flinging dirt with it I came to the same conclusion. But to do that and get into some of those areas I would get soaking wet trying to spray down into these roof grooves. I might try a 2-3gal garden sprayer and just hit it the first of every month. I also have some algaecide from when I had a fish tank and one drop in 2-3 gal would probably do the trick.

Novalink FP is permanently flexible and sticks to everything. That’s why it is ideal for sealing leaks in GEMs where the different materials meet and move around all over the place. It is also good for sealing roof leaks on houses. It will last for years on a roof, though skylights on a low-pitch roof are a dicey situation. It’ll work where it is placed, but it is hard to find every last potential water entry point in that situation. Better to go with Chemlink Flash Pack and put it absolutely everywhere. (I am not affiliated with Chemlink in any way except for being a fanboy).

Sorry for the diversion from GEM talk

1 Like

It’s my thread and I started the diversion so no foul whatsoever. Thanks for the input.

I could not find the Novalink FP without a 2 week lead time and we have another atmospheric river hitting this Sat so I’m going to try Flex Seal. Hopefully it doesn’t just wash away other wise it’ll have to be better than the Henry roofing tar I’ve been using, which doesn’t stay soft and does crack after only a few months.

Doug… . Are we talking about your gem or your skylights?

@CarpenterPete knows his chit. I’m just a electician at a refinery. I just seal up motors, bucket evevators and conveyors. Looks and color matching aren’t important to us

For your skylights, there is a 2 part stem mix tube Sika product that is awesome and maybe easier to find. Its an in stock item at ACE hardware in my area. Maybe yours, i dunno… drawing a blank on the name though right now though.

The Germans make good schmoo…

If i can figure it out, I’ll text you.

1 Like

Skylights since the FrankenGEM will do just fine with a little water on the floor. But the skylights can make a moldy mess of the insulation in the roof and the interior drywall on the ceiling. Paint is already peeling in the corner of one skylight and the drywall seam 6" from it is now cracked about 3’ long. Kicking myself for not pitching the roof another foot on the high side but I didn’t want to open the existing roof. Bad move…

House - But if you can find Flex Seal in a tape that might be just the ticket for sealing a skylight. Any extra you can seal a boat.

I don’t think I have seen the 2 part Sika but have used the one part tube Sika flex for caulking boat decks. Search your local West Marine.

Which one part one though? I used to seal all kinds of roof penetrations with the plain old sika construction adhesive. The two part is amazeballs in comparason though.

Oh, btw, doug, if you go with sika, look in the bottom of the tube. The expiration date is lasered on the follower/pusher cap. It goes to chit about 3-4 months before that date in my experience

1 Like

this stuff?

Self leveling will run down a slope faster than someome who broke parole, offed an officer and his trainee and, this really part hurts, stole an MFP pursuit interceptor…

1 Like