Sunroof Removal

I just purchased a 2002 4 seater the sunroof is cracked and needs to be replaced. Has anyone done this before? Any input on how to remove it and where to get the replacement molding and glass would be greatly appreciated.

I have taken one out. My old sun roof pushed right out. I tryed not to break it because I used it as a template. The sun roof is a funky shape. It’s NOT Square like it looks. It’s a trapezoid. If your looking at it from a birds eye, it’s wider at the rear section of the car and gets thinner as it moves towards the front of the car. My advice is to use your stock roof as a template for a new roof.

And to make things more complicated the roof is bowed or arched. So this is how you wanna re install it. First clean out all the old glue that used to hold in your Orignal roof. Once it’s clean test fit your new roof. I drilled some small holes in my roof near the edge as to screw or hold down the roof after you install it. The roof is not gonna wanna lay flat you either need to clamp it down or screw it down for it to retain the stock shape. Then I used this nasty a$$ window glue. This stuff is thick and hard to squeeze out of a regular caulking gun. So use what ever glue you like, but the stuff I used was overkill IMO. Super thick and unless you have a powerd caulking gun for automotive windows your in for a wrist work out, it it can be done. I used black automotive window adhesive.

Here is a tip lay a small to regular size bead of caulking. Do it close to the outside edge. Because when you lay the roof down it’s gonna squeeze out to the edge you see. So if you start with the outside edge that no one sees and the glue squeezes to this inside edge that you see your good to go. Don’t worry about the outside edge because the roof molding covers the topside outside edge.

I then screwed down the new plexi roof down and waited 24 hrs for it to completely dry and then install the roof molding.

Find a chemical like aceatone that will not effect your plexi roof for clean up if you happen to get adhesive where your not supposed to. Test the aceatone on your old roof plastic to make sure it dosent dull or hurt it. Blue painters tape is also not a bad idea.

If you don’t go crazy with the glue you will not have any issue. The screws do a great job of holding down the roof so the glue is more a water proofing act.

Make sure when drilling near the edge of the plastic rooof you use a proper plastic drilling bit and make sure the hole is larger then the screw your using. If you force a screw threw the plastic you will crack the plastic super easy make sure the screw is not touching either side of the hole your drilling and your good to go.

1 Like

Wow what great information thank you so much. When you replaced yours did you use a Gem replacement sunroof of just have a piece cut? If cut what material did you use. Thanks again!

1 Like