Gem a.c. motor conversions 8kw motor

Put it on blocks and adjust the throttle.
Should be able to kill the regen too. Maybe ohm out the regen wire from the Gem.

Go for it. 30 F isnā€™t so bad. -20 F wind chill?
No windshield on mine. Like snowmobiling!

S4 works perfectly. No dif from S6.
I never see the issues you guys have. It must be my low voltage.
Bet I could turn the current down to 250a and it would still be fun. Uphill with a load is what you will need to test.

Hotrod file set to your throttle should work for you.

email me your current dcf, when I tried the one I have the torque was unmanageable but it may have been an old config.
We really need to come up with a naming standard for these dcf files - ā€œthe best yetā€ and ā€œhotrodā€ are not working out so well. LOL

Iā€™m running the same one you have.
If you are at high throttle when FS1 comes on, it will be out of control.
Can you put it on stands and change the ā€œthrottle start voltageā€ above the monitored p22 throttle voltage?
Move the throttle until FS1 comes on. What voltage do you see on pin 22?

What do you have this set to?

Start ā€œvalueā€ must stay at zero. Corresponds to zero throttle position. The position at which torque is first requested.
If ā€œstart voltageā€ is set above actual pin 22 volts, then zero torque is requested. Thatā€™s what you want in most cases.

In my case, I wanted to eliminate any deadband and have a ā€œcreep speedā€.
It seems that your ā€œcreep speedā€ is full throttle.

You sent your wife to tow home your new toy ? Your my hero !
Can i send my wife up for training ?

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t even know how to make that request here. And sheā€™s from Missouri no less.

@Inwo You want to give us some pointers how to get our wives to drive across the country to pick up our toys ?

I live in MO, and I think my wife would actually do this. However, I would not let her. Shinny thing distract here and driving a truck let alone pulling a trailer would not be a good combination. :slight_smile:

Back to real work,
I think we are close to having a package ready. We have two different ā€œtunesā€ we are working on to make everything a smooth as possible. Weather is the limiter here as I donā€™t like being cold and testing requires being outside. If you donā€™t are about loosing most of the displays (all but turn signals, battery gauge, and lights) it is basically ready.
We are working on a replacement LCD display but that may take a little time and CANBUS programming.
Dave has V2 of the plug and play conversion board in the works.

Hold tight, many of us are shutdown for the winter anyway but come spring we will be ready for some fast, powerful GEM cars.

FYI - these conversions should work with standard 72v systems as well as up to 116v HV Lithium conversions.

Shoutout to @Troyin909 and @Inwo for all the pre-work (a lot of it), I am just trying to help them wrap up the fine details.

Appreciate all the input and support and help along the way. It will be nice when more of us can compare settings and notes as we learn the limitations of the controller.

Update to status -
Things are coming along nicely. I was able to do a lot of testing yesterday and below are my results.
Let me just say that this conversion drives like a dream!!! I live in a very hilly area and with this 8K motor we were able to maintain speed (even full speed) up every hill. It was awesome.

I was watching all the stats live as we drove.

Started at 92v in the battery - Ended with 89v in the battery (yes 8 miles up and downhills = 3 volts)
We did all of the following tests multiple times:
Standstill - Full throttle - The most AMPā€™s I saw was ~400a for just a split second.
Rolling - Full throttle - AMPS = ~300
Just cruising around the neighborhood = AMPS = 20 to 100
Controller temp was 39c - Hit 40c once when we are running hard for a long period of time
Motor temp was 51c to 55c the whole time
Regen was great and throttle response was good and very predictable.
Top speed was 43mph with 12:44 Gears and 23" wheels/tires

More to come soon.

1 Like

Just did a HV run, battery was at 98.5v, car drove smooth, throttle was easy to manage and the regen was just right. It was 25 degrees (and dark with no headlights) so it was a short run of about a mile. But all good.

Thereā€™s something wrong here as there does not seem to be any down side to this motor/controller swap.
From what Iā€™ve read so far you get more power, faster speeds, less battery usage and makes your flatulations smell like flowers. Incredible and nice work!

And a good price toošŸ˜‰
I tested in my Tomberlin Anvil this weekend.
2000lb lead battery nev.

60mph on gps

1 Like

There is one downside at this time - you lose most of the primary display.
The turn signals work and the battery meter appears to work, but the rest of the icons just flash.
All the switches function, the display is just not working. But we are working on a solution for that as well.
I put in an external voltage gauge in all my cars any way, so I if I had a GPS speedo that is all I really need. Other may feel differently.

2 Likes

Sold my 2005 GEM eS during the summer with expectations of replacing it with a new 2020. However, after several false starts it appears GEM will finally release their new models this month. In anticipation of buying one - I will definitely upgrade the transmission for a more practical MPH alternative as well as more robust battery options. I look forward to the outcome of these improvements as well as Grantā€™s ongoing research with his 2018 model in hopes of applying those retrofits to the 2020!

Great work!

@Inwo, I may need those batteries. Iā€™m down in St Pete. Price?

Edit: Just realized youā€™re in MN. Had you confused with someone in FL. Shipping may make it not cost effective. BTW, Iā€™m shipping you my charger this week.

@LithiumGods is in Fl. He can also help you.
What battery or range do you have in mind.
25 green batteries are simple.
Bolt battery has 2 times the range.
Tesla 3 battery should give you more than 75m range. 6ā€™ long and complex bms wiring.

Update:
So things have been moving along, but slowly due to weather.
Dave has been hard a work on building a converter board to allow using stock T2/T4 controller wires to be used without altering the factory wiring.
As of this weekend, I have verified that these boards work as designed.

We have been fighting an AMP/Torque/Voltage problem - as of this weekend I think we have that solved as well.
Still more testing to do, but we have installed on two E4ā€™s and one E6 and all is looking good.

We think that this could be used with voltage from 60v to 100+ volts. I am currently testing at ~95 volts. Dave is testing in the 60v range.

Benefits:
Speed: can be set to whatever RPM you want. Could see 60mph with correct gears and setup (Donā€™t do this) - 40 - 45 is very doable, you can do this with a DC motor also but you will cook it in a short time and the T4ā€™s will burn up as well in time. These motor will run 45mph all day long and not break a sweat.
Controller: These are new, factory fresh. Everyone is running 10/12/15 year old controllers, these are going to fail soon. This gives you a great option ( for less money)
Motor: More RPM - run MUCH cooler - more torque, more HP.

Drawbacks:
Right now - you lose the digital display on new GEMS - all but turn signals. Still working on a solution for this but to me, that is not a big deal. GPS speedo and you are good.

More to come - sorry for the slow updates.

@Inwo
@grantwest
@Troyin909
@LithiumGods

1 Like

Sounds good lots of fun motor options to come. I know you guys have been working hard & figuring out all the electronic pitfalls.
I hope the people that have been putting in all this work are rewarded $$$$ :slight_smile: