First test drive went great for 1/4 mile, then

chug, chug, chug and I came to a stop. I have a 72 volt system in a VW super beetle and had to have the neighbor pull me home. I charged the batteries, but now when I have it on and use the throttle, the throttle makes a hissing noise and the motor does not move. Where should I start to trouble shoot and what voltages should I see on the ADC motor at A1, A2, S1 and S2? I need to figure out if this is a controller, motor or throttle problem.

You should have continuity from A1 to S1 with jumper between A2 and S2 in place. You should have continuity between A1 and A2 And between S1 and S2. You should not have continuity between A1 or S1 to ground with Jumper in place. If these things are true then you should be able to spin your motor with a 12v battery connected to A1 and S1 and jumper in place. That should test the motor. Now Im kinda new so thats about all I know about troubleshooting the motor.

Hope this Helps,

Thanks!

I read about your truck, and it sounds so familiar but I don’t think I blew the fuse. I will check it in the morning as I have the day off.

I purchased an adapter plate and coupler from a company. It arrived off by 100/1000 ths of an inch, which put the shaft at an angle. Then the coupler was not centered and had a lobe that would put the whole thing out of balance. Those two things caused the motors bearings to go. The motor turned today and I had the dust cap off to watch. The shaft rotation was not even close to being correct. It wobbled really bad and a little smoke came out from the rear end of the motor.

I have sent an email to the supplier but I have yet to get a response. No answer to the phone, just voicemail. I have asked them to send me replacements that are ouality but I dont know if I can fix the motor myself or if I would be better off buying a new one becausing the old one would cost too much to fix.

[QUOTE=Bluehair;4880]I purchased an adapter plate and coupler from a company. It arrived off by 100/1000 ths of an inch, which put the shaft at an angle. Then the coupler was not centered and had a lobe that would put the whole thing out of balance. Those two things caused the motors bearings to go. The motor turned today and I had the dust cap off to watch. The shaft rotation was not even close to being correct. It wobbled really bad and a little smoke came out from the rear end of the motor.

I have sent an email to the supplier but I have yet to get a response. No answer to the phone, just voicemail. I have asked them to send me replacements that are ouality but I dont know if I can fix the motor myself or if I would be better off buying a new one becausing the old one would cost too much to fix.[/QUOTE]

You are not dealing with Wilderness EV… are you?:eek:

Holy crap. A tenth (100/1000) of an inch is huge. I’d talk to the guys who built your adapter plate and get them to sack up for a new motor then get a new plate from someone else. I would not deal with a company that was as sloppy as .1 inch tolerance.

Can anyone give any info on the kits supplied by Wilderness EV for the VW conversion? I am keen to start.

The stuff from Wilderness EV is crap. Holes on adaptors are off, couplers look like high school shop class project.