EV Troubles :(

specs:
1967 VW Beetle Electric converted car

• ADC 8" 203-06-4001 motor, 72-120VDC, single shaft, 8" diam
  • Alltrax 7245 Controller
  • Zivan NG1 Charger
  • 12 x 12V Lead Acid deep cycle 110Ah batteries
  • 144 Volts - 2 x 72 volts parallel config

car was kept in storage…two things happened…

1. Two batteries 12v that ran the main electric system for the car were stolen - they were replaced.
  2. car was not charged for 1 month so 2 batteries from the engine pack developed bad cells and were replaced. now car charges fines, packs are full, main two batteries are good.

PROBLEM - engine does not start…
wires connecting everything seem solid.
I don’t have any electric experience, so me looking at the numbers from a volt metter does very little…

Please help…

[QUOTE=oldboy;10097]specs:
1967 VW Beetle Electric converted car

• ADC 8" 203-06-4001 motor, 72-120VDC, single shaft, 8" diam
  • Alltrax 7245 Controller
  • Zivan NG1 Charger
  • 12 x 12V Lead Acid deep cycle 110Ah batteries
  • 144 Volts - 2 x 72 volts parallel config

car was kept in storage…two things happened…

1. Two batteries 12v that ran the main electric system for the car were stolen - they were replaced.
  2. car was not charged for 1 month so 2 batteries from the engine pack developed bad cells and were replaced. now car charges fines, packs are full, main two batteries are good.

PROBLEM - engine does not start…
wires connecting everything seem solid.
I don’t have any electric experience, so me looking at the numbers from a volt metter does very little…

Please help…[/QUOTE]

This will be hard to figure out from here, but lets see if I can help. The first thing I think you should do is to get the rear wheels off the ground for safety sake. When you first bring up a electric car it’s a good idea to not have it accidently drive itself through the wall. I would then check the wireing related to the 2 12 volt batteries that you said ran the whole system. Normally I would think only one is required but maybe your car was set up with a 24 volt solenoid or contactor. If those batteries are controlling everything, then they are used to close the main contactor which supplies high voltage to the controller. If you low voltage isn’t hooked up, then when you turn the key nothing happens. Also somethimes there is a second switch for safety sake. Like I said, it will be hard to figure this out from here, but be careful when trying to get it going.

Frank Home