Electric DC motor

Hi,

I have looked on lot of web site who talk about gaz vehicle conversion. Most of the time the electric motor used is Advanced DC FB1-4001 Series Wound DC

Are there a big advantage to use this motor?

It is possible to find industrial DC motor for a lower price than the FB1-40001. Can it be a good choice or there are a problem I didn’t see?

Look for motors in the 10-15 hp 110 pound to 150 pound weight range.

forklift motors have been used successfully

it all depends on what KIND of gas vehicle conversion? car? truck? motorcycle?

Like it was said depends on what you have and what you want out of it.

I’ve been thinking of the same thing. I have a supplier/friend in the used industrial component business. He told me today he has a 25HP shunt wound drive.

Industrial DC and AC drives are all I’ve ever worked on and they have lots of torque and are very rugged. They are shunt wound though, that is the field is on one power source and the armature is controlled via the drive SCR’s I think. They can be used for regen also, which is what I want. You can also get them wiht a tach feedback shaft.

You’re right, they can be purchased for much less than EV specific DC motors but I just don’t know what advantage they offer. One advantage may be that if the motor isn’t needed there isn’t any power wasted on powering the field winding, which is generally left energized in DC drives.

However, cheap is good if it will do a decent job and I’m absolutely convinced it will do a good job.

You would just have build a protection circuit in your controller if your shunt ever opened up the controller would shut down.

Went back to my old Navy book and it says the “series” wound DC motor offers extreme torque from a dead stop compared to the shunt wound.

A SERIOUS disadvantage is that the [B]series wound [/B]will run away if the drive shaft were to break or the motor is unloaded. Runaway means the speed will increase until it disintegrates or the bearings seize basically. That would make for a bad day!

However I suspect the drive has built in protections for that but I’m not really sure.

In a[B] shunt wound [/B]DC motor, the rpm is determined by the voltage while a [B]compound wound [/B]offers the advantages of both motors.

Is the series wound are preferred mainly for the extra torque?

A SERIOUS disadvantage is that the series wound will run away if the drive shaft were to break or the motor is unloaded. Runaway means the speed will increase until it disintegrates or the bearings seize basically. That would make for a bad day!

In a ev application that wouldnt be much of a disadvantage.

[QUOTE=frodus;3052]it all depends on what KIND of gas vehicle conversion? car? truck? motorcycle?[/QUOTE]

What motor would you recommend for a truck? Nothing big, maybe about the size of a Jeep Cherokee. How much horsepower (in DS standards) would be required to reach speeds of 60mph and get decent range (decent range, meaning 40+ miles)