Electric Boat help with selecting new motor

Hi all,

I recently took ownership of a 1983 Duffy 18’ boat, it is a fiberglass displacement hull cabin cruiser that is pure electric, inboard drive 2.5hp GE 36VDC series wound brushed motor that gets it to 3 and 5 mph on low and high. The transmission is a set of V belts at 2.75:1, so the motor spins at 2000rpm and the prop shaft at 720rpm.

I need to replace the motor and need some help selecting a replacement. I’m changing the boat to 48VDC and not really interested in making it faster, but more efficient. I was looking at Golden Motor 3kw/5kw and Motenergy, Looks like Golden is axial flux and I am pretty sure I want a radial flux motor with better low RPM torque.

I’m not sure how to use the motor performance curves to select the right unit for my boat, I don’t understand how variable speed drive interacts with a fixed voltage dynometer plot. The propeller is 7" with an unknown but visibly “tall” pitch, larger than what you would find on a small outboard.

Trying to stay under $2k and would like it to be quiet and efficient, appreciate any advice. Will consider liquid cooled.

Strongly suggest you contact Duffy.

Duffy Electric Boat Company - America’s Electric Boat Since 1970

D & D Motors could also give you guidance. Unless totally trashed your present motor can be rebuilt for under $100 in parts. New GE motor should be in +/_$1000 range,

The 36 volt setup in a Duffy is a good fit for performance and range.

However if your going to do it. You will also have to upgrade the controller. to a modern electronic unit like the Curtis or GE.

I would strongly consider Lithium if your going to all this trouble,

Lots of expertise on this forum that can be adapted to your boat.

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

The reason I am looking into a new motor, is that I have several options for a more powerful, quieter and more efficient motor that include a controller, for less than what Duffy offered an “Infraspeed” upgrade for. I don’t actually have a motor malfunction, but I do have a bad contact in my drive control lever which causes it to divide my battery bank improperly. The motor, on low speed generates a redonkulous amount of heat, although I do need to add some ventilation.

Then I assumed correctly that you have the series parallel 2 speed operation unit.

You could replace your present setup with a Curtis Controller and A GE, D&D, AMD etc motor or keep your present motor.

If your handy you could scrounge up used golf cart control components that will handle up to 7 HP rather inexpensively.

FSIP could probably work you up a package. Do you have room for 2 more batteries? Or you could switch out to 8 volt units. Lithium would be better and lighter. How much did Duffy want for their control?

Rodney

[quote=nevbuggie;32442]Hi all,

I recently took ownership of a 1983 Duffy 18’ boat, it is a fiberglass displacement hull cabin cruiser that is pure electric, inboard drive 2.5hp GE 36VDC series wound brushed motor that gets it to 3 and 5 mph on low and high. The transmission is a set of V belts at 2.75:1, so the motor spins at 2000rpm and the prop shaft at 720rpm.

I need to replace the motor and need some help selecting a replacement. I’m changing the boat to 48VDC and not really interested in making it faster, but more efficient. I was looking at Golden Motor 3kw/5kw and Motenergy, Looks like Golden is axial flux and I am pretty sure I want a radial flux motor with better low RPM torque.

I’m not sure how to use the motor performance curves to select the right unit for my boat, I don’t understand how variable speed drive interacts with a fixed voltage dynometer plot. The propeller is 7" with an unknown but visibly “tall” pitch, larger than what you would find on a small outboard.

Trying to stay under $2k and would like it to be quiet and efficient, appreciate any advice. Will consider liquid cooled.[/quote]

Go to thunderstruck-ev dot com and look up their 5KW Brushless Sailboat Kit. The kit can go 36 or 48v.

Thanks all. Thunderstruck does have neat stuff. I am strongly considering both Thunderstruck’s Motenergy/Sevcon kit, and Golden Motors’ 3 and 5kW kits. Golden motor is certainly cheaper, especially when you look at programming kits and software.

Glad to see you on your way. Please keep us posted on your progress.