Sailboat Electric Conversion - gearing?

I’m converting a 40’ sailboat that had a 47hp diesel to electric. I’m not looking for the electric to be an open ocean cruiser, for now, I just want a day cruiser that I can live on. (diesel is no longer in the boat, none are available to me)

I have a MARS me1002 (10" series wound).
Knowledge of electric motor conversions is very little. Regardless, I’m doing it.

Wondering if anyone could chime in as to my current plan, and to better possible plans.

I intend to mount this motor above the shaft, and run a 5" pulley (gates) from the motor to the shaft. 1:1

I would like to have a transmission setup, but don’t know what to do. I would also like to know what kind of ratio’s people would recommend and why to get the most out of this conversion. Battery voltage is also yet to be determined, but will be Trojan 106’s. And if electric has the torque it does, what does no one seem to run a larger pulley on the motor than the output? It seems like it could be advantageous in my situation (large series wound with a boat prop - would that not be a slow start, but better high speed cruising? ). Thanks for any help.

[QUOTE=spoooner;9593]I’m converting a 40’ sailboat that had a 47hp diesel to electric. I’m not looking for the electric to be an open ocean cruiser, for now, I just want a day cruiser that I can live on. (diesel is no longer in the boat, none are available to me)

I have a MARS me1002 (10" series wound).
Knowledge of electric motor conversions is very little. Regardless, I’m doing it.

Wondering if anyone could chime in as to my current plan, and to better possible plans.

I intend to mount this motor above the shaft, and run a 5" pulley (gates) from the motor to the shaft. 1:1

I would like to have a transmission setup, but don’t know what to do. I would also like to know what kind of ratio’s people would recommend and why to get the most out of this conversion. Battery voltage is also yet to be determined, but will be Trojan 106’s. And if electric has the torque it does, what does no one seem to run a larger pulley on the motor than the output? It seems like it could be advantageous in my situation (large series wound with a boat prop - would that not be a slow start, but better high speed cruising? ). Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

Saw your post before I even got to post my first on this forum. Typically, on an electric boat, there is no transmission. You use a motor controller that can run the motor backwards to get reverse.

You need no gear ratio, depending on the electric motor’s RPMs. You want to be down around 1200RPMs, max for a displacement craft like yours, at the prop.

Ok, now off to post my own boat question! :smiley: