Choosing the right motor to replace an ICE

Hi,

I am doing some homework and looking to find a good solution to convert a series 88 inch wheelbase land rover vehicle to electric.

The orignial ICE engine has the following specs.

horsepower : 62bhp (net) at 4,000 rpm
maximum torque : 103 lb ft at 1,800 rpm

I would be happy to keep the original gear box and transfer case as they give a great deal of flexibility to adapt the drive to either on or off the road.

It seems that the FB1-4001-A DC motor is a very common motor used in EV conversions. The pages I saw claim that this motor has enough power to drive vehicles of various sizes at very good speeds. One such conversion is the Toyota pickup described in the following link:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/999

How do you think this motor compares to the original ICE specs I quoted above?

Kind regards
Joseph

if you go to put it in a land rover you have to keep in mind that the land rover is currently AWD (usually are) and that if you keep the regular transmission you will need to addapt it accordingly unless of corse you specifically only swap out the motor and mate it up with the OEM tranny.

exactly, that is why I would prefer to keep the original transmission system as it takes care of all the 4WD/2WD selections.

[QUOTE=FEUS;691]if you go to put it in a land rover you have to keep in mind that the land rover is currently AWD (usually are) and that if you keep the regular transmission you will need to addapt it accordingly unless of corse you specifically only swap out the motor and mate it up with the OEM tranny.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure it can be done, but I would not convert a Land Rover. SUVs are just to heavy and un-aerodynamic.

Transfer case. That sounds like a power sucker.

The vehicle I am talking about was powered by a sluggish ICE when compared to today’s SUVs. I don’t want my land rover to go very fast. 50 mph is enough, considering that most speed limits here are up to 50mph.

The series 3 land rover is powered by the following specs :

Is it difficult to find an electric motor with similar performance? Is the FB1-4001-A DC motor a good option?

Kind regards
Joseph

[QUOTE=joe019;709]The vehicle I am talking about was powered by a sluggish ICE when compared to today’s SUVs. I don’t want my land rover to go very fast. 50 mph is enough, considering that most speed limits here are up to 50mph.

The series 3 land rover is powered by the following specs :

Is it difficult to find an electric motor with similar performance? Is the FB1-4001-A DC motor a good option?

Kind regards
Joseph[/QUOTE]

electric motors are rated much differently than gas motors because of their effenciety. but as for going 50mph in a vehicle, i’m still intrested to hear from New Dawn to hear what he has to say about it because he is a local pro. i dont know if it would be able to get to 50mph with 1 motor with out lots of power…