Electric Bike Idea

I have been wanting to build an unique bike for the longest time now but i have not had the best of luck. I originally build an 2 wheel bike with an 10hp diesel changfa motor from ebay attached to an comet clutch but the bike wasnt very drivable. When i geared it to run 70mph top speed it road icredible slow off the line taking nearly 25 seconds to get to 70mph. I have been reading alot on the chevy volt and i like how its an all electric car with an generator setup for recharging the batterys for long range. I got this new idea from my new vegetable oil generator i have been running for a while now. I have been running the 10hp diesel changfa engine attached to 2 cheap alternators i bought from autozone which have lifetime warranty. there 140 amp alternators and i have been running the generator attached to 6 batterys with the alternator charging 3 a peace and running stuff in the shop to test it i have seen draws of 100 amps at times off the alternators to charge the batterys and the little diesel engine just kept on going like an champ.

Im wanderings if I could build an trike… 2 wheels up front and 1 in the rear motorcycle with the 10 hp engine hooked up in the same manner to charge the 72 volt bank of 6 batterys to power an electric motor to make an electric motorcycle. The batterys would make an short range and the motorcycle would in theory be able to run on just electric for short trips or could start the diesel motor and allow the alternator to hold a charge to the battery bank while allowing juice for the motor to perform… Im not sure how well this theory would work in all but think the diesel generator is rater at 10hp/27tq @ 3600 rpms so i figured if i ran the engine around max torque when its running that would be the best…

if you really want to make it, you can do it. Just believe in yourself I know you that skills that anyone does not have

Hybrid Cards

It would be much beneficial as the view of Eco problem. Electrical bike reduce pollution rate. Electricity is the clean and neat fuel. If it become possible it would be very noble and praiseworthy act.

[QUOTE=storx;5433]I have been wanting to build an unique bike for the longest time now but i have not had the best of luck. I originally build an 2 wheel bike with an 10hp diesel changfa motor from ebay attached to an comet clutch but the bike wasnt very drivable. When i geared it to run 70mph top speed it road icredible slow off the line taking nearly 25 seconds to get to 70mph. I have been reading alot on the chevy volt and i like how its an all electric car with an generator setup for recharging the batterys for long range. I got this new idea from my new vegetable oil generator i have been running for a while now. I have been running the 10hp diesel changfa engine attached to 2 cheap alternators i bought from autozone which have lifetime warranty. there 140 amp alternators and i have been running the generator attached to 6 batterys with the alternator charging 3 a peace and running stuff in the shop to test it i have seen draws of 100 amps at times off the alternators to charge the batterys and the little diesel engine just kept on going like an champ.

Im wanderings if I could build an trike… 2 wheels up front and 1 in the rear motorcycle with the 10 hp engine hooked up in the same manner to charge the 72 volt bank of 6 batterys to power an electric motor to make an electric motorcycle. The batterys would make an short range and the motorcycle would in theory be able to run on just electric for short trips or could start the diesel motor and allow the alternator to hold a charge to the battery bank while allowing juice for the motor to perform… Im not sure how well this theory would work in all but think the diesel generator is rater at 10hp/27tq @ 3600 rpms so i figured if i ran the engine around max torque when its running that would be the best…[/QUOTE]

this is a very old post so i wont be surprised id i don get a reply… :slight_smile:
did you go about making the project?if you did please share…

[QUOTE=storx;5433]When i geared it to run 70mph top speed it road icredible slow off the line taking nearly 25 seconds to get to 70mph.

Im wanderings if I could build an trike… 2 wheels up front and 1 in the rear motorcycle with the 10 hp engine hooked up in the same manner to charge the 72 volt bank of 6 batterys to power an electric motor to make an electric motorcycle.[/QUOTE]

It is easy to not pick the right components, but try to focus on available Torque from your motors, and the current required to deliver it (and the volts), Short Acceleration times require more torque, more points of torque delivery, or both. Maybe two 10 kW Hub motors on that trike idea would give you better acceleration than just one Series 20 kW motor would through 1 back wheel?

Next - you need a battery pack that (In my estimation should be designed capable of delivering 150% of the current demand of the given controller limit (and controller need for the application). You can get a good idea by looking at battery specs or cell specs, and looking at the continuous ‘C’ Rating, and remember that a Cell in a single lab test, by itself, is likely able to deliver higher current than a completed pack, due to resistance losses in the connections and wire runs.

So maybe with some determination you can calculate that the pack’s ‘C’ Rating = approximately 0.8 x the Cells rating, maybe more, but likely less!

So with all this in mind - if you want to pull 400 amps on acceleration at the motor from the battery pack, your cells should be able to deliver 500 amps, and have a 50% Safety margin above that = 250 Amps higher, or 750 Amps total. If you build with these thoughts in mind, you will seldom, if every, need to be greatly concerned about over stressing the Pack Cells.

So - if you are using cells with a 3C Rating - and you want 750 Amp Cell Capability - you would need 250 - 260 Ah Cells, for your power needs. If you can get 10C Rated Cells, (Like Maybe - Headway Cells) you could to with about a 75 - 80 Ah Pack - (as far as power needs are concerned - not range). this could be achieved by a 5P set of the 40152 cells at 15 Ah each, or 5P of the 40160S Cells at 16 Ah each. If you can get 30C Rated Cells - then you could get away with something like the A123 20 Ah Pouch cells - in a 2P configuration (2 x 20 x30 = 1,200 Amp capable, but remember - 30C also = 2 minutes run time!)

The charging aspect of your idea is a bit like the Aptera Hybrid, research that, for some ideas, or consider the idea of the Enginer pack for Making a Prius into a Plug-in, but approach it with the idea - instead of extra batteries, you have your generator in that function.

Series Hybrid can perform in at least 3 ways: Only Charges up the battery when Stopped; Charges part of the loads needed while driving - or can maintain battery levels at low loads; and finally - capable of charging the batteries and maintaining energy levels at full speeds (you decide what this value is and build to it’s demands).

Options 1 and 2 of these 3 variations are easier to accomplish. They are equivalent to deciding how many solar cells on your solar car, in a way! In this sense - so is variation #3 - just add $ to the plan, whether more solar cells or a bigger Generator!

Robert

Plan to buy a electric motorcycle is good and unique idea. slowly but surely people are realising the advantage of these types of motor cycle. Because the price of fuel is increasing day-by-day.

My interest has been for some time on the ZEV brand - HOME - Z Electric Vehicle Corporation - ideally the high powered 7100 series.

Best of Luck my friend I am with you.If you need any help ,ask on this forum.

Its Really nice Idea.

That has been basically done on Youtube. I’m more excited about the bike that charges it self with Tesla/Bidini tech. which captures back EMF in capacitors. It’s on youtube under “bike that charges itself”.