New guy building ElecTrike

[B]Hello new guy here, I have been into motorsports all my life, had a bad crash back in 2003 and now in a wheelchair so I built a motorcycle type trike, built my own rear axle and all, well now I want to get into Electric…

Sold off all but the front end and rear axle, I will built my own frame so to locate the batteries low and more under the seat area, Mount the motor directly onto the rear axle and use a short drive chain.

I have been reading as much as I can but still have many questions about what size motor and controller to use.
Here is what I’d like to have.

The trike fully built will be approx 700-800lbs, I would like to get over 50 miles in range, and have enough power to make people know this is no weak battery powered toy.

This will not be for any real travel but mostly a rolling advertisement for all Electric powered vehicles and things I can build for others.

Question is will a 6.7" motor be right ? What voltage ? And is a 1000 amp controller too much ? I will be looking at getting 8-10 full sized Optima Yellow tops.

Thanks for listening and hope to be around from now on here in the Electric community…[/B]

[B]So no one has any comments or advice ? Will a 6.7" motor be big enough or should I go with an 8"…

1000 amp controller and 10 full sized Optima Yellow batteries ?[/B]

[QUOTE=MikesTrikes;4154][B]So no one has any comments or advice ? Will a 6.7" motor be big enough or should I go with an 8"…

1000 amp controller and 10 full sized Optima Yellow batteries ?[/B][/QUOTE]

don’t be offended, this is a tough crowd - esp for newbies.

i’m no expert, but i’d take a look at what other people have done for their electric moto conversions. there are several in this forum.

10 batteries seems like alot, but if you’ve got the capacity (weight), that’s alot of amp/hrs, you should get a nice, long range. good luck.

[B]Yeah see with this Trike setup I can mount the motor right onto the rear axle giving me even more room for more and bigger batteries…

I am really thinking 8" motor with a 1000 amp controller and 10 group 24 batteries should make for a nice hotrod…[/B]

Man Mike, everywhere I go you’re a member…

ZRXOA, Custom Fighters and now here. I’m thinkin we have a lot in common.

Not to offend anyone here but I’m pretty sure you’ve got the mechanical ability to build this with little or no advice. Are you just looking for short sprints? Cuz I think those bats will be a little shy of capacity for some decent range.

[B]If I can get 25-30 miles out of it I’ll be happy. I want to impress people with the power and let them know you can have alot more range if you tune it so.

I dont need it for commuting or drag racing just I want to run up town to the HotRod shows and BikeNights.

Maybe someone will want me to build one for them.

Chitown_hillbilly… Hmmm whats your log in name on the ZRXOA ?[/B]

[QUOTE=MikesTrikes;4169][B]

Chitown_hillbilly… Hmmm whats your log in name on the ZRXOA ?[/B][/QUOTE]

tsaelens, but I wasn’t there long I sold the Rex and bought another Blackbird.

[B]So what ya doing here ? Wanting to make an all electric bike ? Whats your plans, ideas ?

I was just about to turn that Trike into a full house drag toy.
1109cc Hicomp pistons.
40mm flat slides.
Lockup clutch and on and on.

Until my back went to sh*t and I cant hardly ride in the car for to long at a time. Now I’m turning into a Green nut and making anything around me run cleaner or full on electric, trust me I love my power toys but the way things are now days I’m going Green as they say.

Lots of stuff to learn now as all this stuff is new to me other than the building part…[/B]

[QUOTE=MikesTrikes;4171][B]So what ya doing here ? Wanting to make an all electric bike ? Whats your plans, ideas ?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yea, I think my next project will be an electric bike. Right now I’m trying to finish a Bratstyle CB750. After that I think I’ll sell the Bird and start piecing together the parts for an EV. After I figure it all out with the bike I’d like to build an EV S10 or Ranger.

[B]This is why I like the Trike idea. I can hold alot more battery v/s a cycle

Like I said I plan on 10 large batteries. 2 packs of 5 at 60v or if I can 2 packs of 6 for 72v
This way I can have high current capacity when needed or a little longer range…

Or even 10-12 6v batteries in series ?[/B]