Hello all, A Nubie here

I just found this forum and want to say hi to all. I will be building an electric motorcycle on a Suzuki SV1000 frame. I have the donor bike and am now studying how to make this all happen. I’m in the power making business (battery based solar electric systems) so materials and understanding is not a problem. Fabrication will be a challenge as this bike has no frame under the engine. Well, I am off to start searching and reading all your posts. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Larry
Yuma, AZ

Welcome!

What are your expectations for range?

Thanks. No expectations yet. It going to be a commuter bike. I need to travel 11 miles, 7 on highway, twice per day. I have power at both locations to recharge. Shortest charge time will be 8 hours.

By the time I get to the point of choosing the batteries I should have an idea about the range. There are lot’s of options for the battery type and sizes. I will probable start with GEL or AGM for the my first try at this.

I was starting to strip the ICE this weekend. Here’s a pic without the mufflers.

[QUOTE=frodus;5351]Welcome!

What are your expectations for range?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=esads;5353]Thanks. No expectations yet. It going to be a commuter bike. I need to travel 11 miles, 7 on highway, twice per day. I have power at both locations to recharge. Shortest charge time will be 8 hours.

By the time I get to the point of choosing the batteries I should have an idea about the range. There are lot’s of options for the battery type and sizes. I will probable start with GEL or AGM for the my first try at this.

I was starting to strip the ICE this weekend. Here’s a pic without the mufflers.[/QUOTE]

Well at least you’re starting with realistic goals. You should be able to get 20-30 miles with the right batteries in Lead, even more if you go lithium.

highway speeds is going to require a higher HP motor, so start looking at ADC and D&D motors, or a nice Agni (Lynch) motor. The Etek and perms are a little small for a 1000cc frame.

www.evfr.net is my website with lots of details on my build, and lots of pictures.

Thanks. I am looking at the ADC #L91-4003 for a motor. More HP and less range is what I want for this bike. The range can be extended if I ever upgrade to a more power dense battery technology.

thats a HUGE motor, and its dual shaft if I remember correctly. Its a monster of a motor though, over 80lbs and 15inches long… you sure you’d be able to fit that inside?

I’d consider something next size down, like the K91 or the D&D ES-33 or ES-15A

I’ve got the K99-4007 (same as the k91-4003 just a longer shaft that we cut off). Its great. The powere is really dependant at this point on batteries and controller. Its a very nice motor, and its got large brushes.

Just don’t want to go too small like most people seem to have done. If I can burn ruber, I’m happy. At 900 lbs weight, I want to have good acceleration. Don’t forget, my non stop distance is only 11 miles, most on highway.

900lbs with rider right? how much are you thinking the bike is gonna weigh?

Hell, mine is just under 400lbs right now, great acceleration, 60mph+ and 10-15 mile range.

Most people that go too small don’t use advanced DC motors. Look up Tim Gamber on Evalbum. Also, search under advanced DC and motorcycles, to see if you can find some of the ADC and D&D users, they’re all very happy with the performance. Mine puts out over 30hp at 120V… 29 @ 96V.

[QUOTE=frodus;5386]900lbs with rider right? how much are you thinking the bike is gonna weigh?

[/QUOTE]

I HOPE 900 max with rider! With my gear I will weigh 270lbs. That leaves lots of room for all the parts. As soon as I get the engine striped out I’ll put the bike on the scale.

BTW, I glanced at your blog briefly. Looks like your a techie too! I was pondering what to do for a display console as I want the old one off there. It’s scuffed from the previous owners big fall.

Larry

well, let me know what you decide, we’ll have a monitor board available soon, and are looking for an LCD solution.

630lbs is still alot for a bike, expecially if you only require 11 miles (double it so you don’t neccessarily have to charge where you drive to). 25 miles goal is reasonable… shoot for 2500-3000Wh on batteries. 72V should do you just fine to 55 or 60mph, lessen the size of battery pack Ah and you can decrease drag and increase speed.

LCD display would be cool. Derive speed, heading, time to destination and so on from gps…I’m liken’ it! Monitor current, volts and aHrs…sounds good. Wanna build me one?

I am leaning toward higher voltage to minimize parallel strings. I started hitting up my battery reps for some donations. We sell Lifeline, Concorde, Deka, Interstate, Trojan and a few other here in our store.

Has anyone used X cells for a battery bank? They are 2 volts dry lead battery. I remember playing with them back in the 80’s and they can deliver huge current and did not seem to get to hot. They used to be Gates but I think Hawker now owns them.

LCD display would be cool. Derive speed, heading, time to destination and so on from gps…I’m liken’ it! Monitor current, volts and aHrs…sounds good. Wanna build me one?

Once we get our system we’re developing finished up (in the next couple months) I’d be interested in chatting about it. I don’t know about developing the GPS part of it though, it’d mostly be our system. That would be custom software in addition to our software. You could use a GPS program like GPSdash and toggle screens if needed.

I am leaning toward higher voltage to minimize parallel strings. I started hitting up my battery reps for some donations. We sell Lifeline, Concorde, Deka, Interstate, Trojan and a few other here in our store.
Higher voltage is better on batteries. Less Ah, more Volts, but the same power… and the bats don’t draw as many amps… so the peukert effect is less.

Has anyone used X cells for a battery bank? They are 2 volts dry lead battery. I remember playing with them back in the 80’s and they can deliver huge current and did not seem to get to hot. They used to be Gates but I think Hawker now owns them.

Haven’t heard of anyone doing it, what Ah are they?

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/cyc_b.asp?brandID=4

They are 2 volt cells, up to 25Ah. Heat tolerance is very high which is necessary where I am. Recharge rate rivals AGM. Discharge current is incredible. Battery weight is only 2.4 oz per Ah. Looks like I can build a 3kWh bank that weighs 442lbs.

Just looking at it right now. I buy used batteries and resell them. I get tons (literally) of 17Ah gelled electrolyte batteries that are in excellent condition. I think i’ll build my first bank with these.

There is a motor on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/21-HP-Electric-Vehicle-MOTOR-Car-Motorcycle-EV_W0QQitemZ300273381446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item300273381446&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Are you familiar with this one?