Reverse Hybrid?

Would their be any major problems with building an electric vehicle and Have a small diesel generator to constantly recharge the batteries when they drop beyond a certain point? Like a hybrid but opposite?

Newideaz,

Check out the “plug-in Hybrids.” That’s how most of them are set up.

Greg

This is the concept the Chevy Volt is built on, so yes it is feasible. And, there was a fellow that did just this in 1979, had great results. 75+MPG, was able to run 45MPH on flat terrain, using a 36V system, a 5HP gasoline ICE with a carb and four batteries. The batteries would get him moving, the ICE would keep him moving. With modern tech, I can’t see how 100+MPG and 80+MPH wouldn’t be possible. Here’s the article on the guy from the 70s that did it. Best of all: no change in curb weight.

Check out the AFS Trinity… It is a Plugin-hybrid… Also look up the Zero Carbon Car which is a series plugin-hybrid running BioDiesel and getting 100+ mile to the gallon.

http://www.afstrinity.com/xh.htm

I was thinking of using one of the small 3 cylinder engines from a thermoking transport refigeration unit and run biodeisel in it but I can not find where to buy one,

I have been looking at diesel generators for this idea but they are all rated in watts and I am not sure how much I need to constantly recharge the batteries. Just enough to run the on board charger right? would I have to run two chargers so it would charge more or equal to what Im using during driving?

don’t mean to rain on anyone’s parade. you know, this sounds like a great idea and it may make sense. but i think this is a much more complicated scenario than just grabbing any old generator from the local hardware store and throwing it in the trunk with a few wires.

the main problem in design seems to be that an electric car can take 300A or more under normal conditions to get the car moving. I don’t believe there is a generator out there that can recharge batteries at this rate.

the current hybrids from what i understand actually use dual drive trains, one for the electric motor and a separate one for the ICE motor. keep in mind a ICE type car only has to charge one low capacity battery. i haven’t readup on the guy who was linked to above, but I think if this were much more feasible it would have been done a lot before.

but please prove me wrong, i wish that it were possible. what an idea…

Actually under most driving conditions your EV is not pulling 300 amps. That is mighty high. If you are pulling that you need to check some things on your EV. At 55 I am only pulling about 50 battery amps. Pretty damn good. The genset does not need to pump out 300 or even 100 amps because it is charging the batteries and the controller is always pulling from the batteries. So the batteries are allowing those short bursts of high amps and that is how it works. Yes it is pretty simple but you need to connect every thing up correctly. I have a generator setup but I am waiting to build my machine to make ethanol and to then convert it to ethanol for those times I need an onboard generator for that extra distance. I will have a small light weight trailer to pull behind and it will have a quick disconnect to the battery pack so I can charge on the go. Yes I will have my charger with me and hooked up. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Pete :D:D

[QUOTE=naiche;5159]don’t mean to rain on anyone’s parade. you know, this sounds like a great idea and it may make sense. but i think this is a much more complicated scenario than just grabbing any old generator from the local hardware store and throwing it in the trunk with a few wires.

the main problem in design seems to be that an electric car can take 300A or more under normal conditions to get the car moving. I don’t believe there is a generator out there that can recharge batteries at this rate.

the current hybrids from what i understand actually use dual drive trains, one for the electric motor and a separate one for the ICE motor. keep in mind a ICE type car only has to charge one low capacity battery. i haven’t readup on the guy who was linked to above, but I think if this were much more feasible it would have been done a lot before.

but please prove me wrong, i wish that it were possible. what an idea…[/QUOTE]

The generator is not meant to fully charge your pack but to extend your range. When the batteries do need charged you just run your genset and charge where ever you happen to be. If you use ethanol for fuel you are doing good. If you happen to have a small diesel genset and run veggie oil you are doing just as well. Many folks only have gas gen sets and converting to ethanol is pretty straight forward. Not the best in cold weather unless you preheat and increase your compression. Diesel and Veggie oil have problems too in cold weather. You could go NG or Propane. Both easy and will help cut our dependence on BIG OIL. The goal is to lessen the use of gas or oil so even using gasoline to charge is using less gas than just filling up your gas guzzler. Even using a small engine with no pollution devices in place is better than all that wasted fuel just keeping our gas guzzler idling at ever stoplight. There is no excuse to not make something that gets decent performance and good mileage with little to no gasoline used. Remember many engines were originally designed to run ethanol anyway. Like the diesel was designed to run peanut oil. All available to every farmer in the country. Actually available to everyone who want to put forth the effort to make the stuff. VO. WVO. Ethanol. Bio-Diesel. All are renewable forms of easy to make energy for our transportation needs and business needs.

Pete :D:D:D:D:D

gottdi
What kind of vehicle do you have? 55mph @ 50A is far better than anything I have seen on my conversion. (84V Porsche 924)
tommyt

I plan on using a 8 bat system, but I have no idea on what volts I want to run or what engine I can use. What hp sould I have for a 75 datsun truck., does hp even realy matter. I plan on doing this small engine recharger as well and have seen just about all the web sites that deal with that topic but i know that you guys have some of the best hands on so give me the goods, first timer here so if it seems pointles to mention it please do. I need all of the help I can get.