Hybrid car opinions

Has onyone read up on this hybird car? Their are several articals about David Arthurs on this web site(most are pretty old). In many ways it sounds like the chevy Volt. Battery Car with a range exstender. If you read all the articals by searching the site by his name you find some corrections to the math but also that others have built this type of car with the same results

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1979-07-01/An-Amazing-75-MPG-Hybrid-Electic-Car.aspx

I seems like the biggest complaint about electric cars is the range. This idea seems to fix that.

I would like to hear comments from others.

article was published in 1980, not sure it would survive current regulations on street legal vehicles.

That is pretty much what I want to do. Been thinking though, a motorcycle engine would probably do the trick. Just have to determine what motor to use, then determine what generator would be needed to drive it (which would just be another motor, slightly larger than the drive motor, set up as a generator), then determine what the max amount of HP and torque would be needed to drive the generator at full load, then select an ICE that will provide that power level. The only things stopping me from proceeding, is a place to do it and the money to pay for it :frowning:

I don’t think in Iowa I would need to worry about emissions as we don’t have inspections. even if we did you could leave the ICE off during the test.

The had this to say about his setup

I highly recommend a 36-volt circuit, so you’ll need at least three of these 12-volt batteries. Most cars will draw 150-200 amps at 45 mph. When looking for a battery, compare the reserve capacity and the number of plates per battery. A high number indicates deep-cycle capability and high-current output. One battery I’ve found has 186 plates and a 75-amp, 12-volt output for 100 minutes.
I installed three 12-volt, heavy-duty automobile batteries—in series—“fed” by a 10-amp generator to do that job. The small engine then powers the generator. But I decided I wanted a bit more power in the new pickup, so I decided to forgo another five-hp gasoline engine in favor of a nine-hp diesel. That’s equivalent to about a 20-hp gasoline engine. It turned out to be a perfect arrangement. It has tremendous torque, will bear very heavy loads without stalling, and is incredibly reliable.
A typical 2,500 pound hybrid electric car will require approximately 200 amps at 36 volts to run 45 mph. Using that kind of information you can arrive at the best kind of battery pack for your particular use. For instance, two banks of the 186-plate, 12-volt batteries (six batteries) has nine kwh available. It takes 7.2 kwh to go 45 miles on the open road. With this battery system you should have a good hour of drive time on the batteries alone.
A 25-mile test run using the nine-hp diesel engine showed that a gallon of fuel could produce sufficient amperage at 36 volts to drive the car two hours at 45 mph. That’s 90 miles to the gallon. If the terrain had been a bit less hilly, the average speed would have been closer to 55 mph. It’s important to realize, however that stop-and-go traffic shortens the range and reduces efficiency because of the heavy current draws (600 amps) in taking off. That’s where the surge current (cranking power) of the battery comes in. A great deal of city driving will certainly affect overall fuel economy

Now he mentions
200amp at 45mph
600amps at takeoff
Does this sound accurate?

My thought was a 48V system. Have a diesel motor with 4-65Amp Alternators, each tied to a single battery, but I can’t figure out if this is even possible as I would have to use big diods to isolate each alternator from each other and I would need a floating ground. I’m trying to figure out a cheap junkyard method of assembly.

4-65amp alternators = 260amps
each alternator puts out 14Volts this comes out to a total of (I*R) 910 watts for each alternator X Qty4 = 3640Watss/746Watts= 4.8HP

So if cruise speed at 45mph comes out to 200amps I would have enough juice to keep the batteries alive during long hauls. When I stop at lights I would charging the system.

While looking up data on diesels I found this.

Why diesel-power instead of gasoline? Unlike gas engines, diesels have no spark plugs to replace, or carburetors to rebuild and service. Diesels generally burn less than half the fuel that gas engines do to do the same amount of work. Diesels regularly outlast gas engines ten-to-one. The average diesel engine will run 20,000 hours before needing any service beyond routine maintenance, but many make it to 50,000 hours, and some a lot longer than that. At four hours a day, even 20,000 hours works out to nearly fourteen years! A good spark-ignition engine is about 24 percent efficient, “A good diesel is about 30 percent efficient.

So I would think a good 8hp desile motor would do the trick.

OK so where is the flaw in the logic hear. I know someone on this forume can kill it.

Reread article and can’t find either quote you cited in your last post. What am I missing???

Their are several articals all on the same web page. The second one is the better one and also the last one I have seen.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Transportation/1980-01-01/Update-David-Arthurs-Hybrid-Electric-car.aspx

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Transportation/1993-06-01/Hybrid-Electric-Car.aspx

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Transportation/1980-09-01/Mothers-Own-Hybrid-Car.aspx

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Transportation/1980-05-01/Hybrid-II.aspx

This one is about diesil generators

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/thomsen43.html

Now imagine if you were able to combine some of the technology out their all in one car. Like this water injection to increase efficiency.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE

and add hydraulic vehicle assist!

There’s no discrepancy, there’s no naysaying it, the guy did it. All theory , all shoulda/woulda/coulda issues fall before the working machine.

The 600 amp start and 200 amp cruise is also correct, because it takes more power to accelerate a mass to a given speed than it takes to maintain it.

Going with a higher voltage system means you can sustain a higher top speed with lower amps, but then there’s a fellow out there outrunning Corvettes in the quarter mile with a 36V system, and has had no problems maintaining highway speeds with his vehicle for as long as the battery pack lasts. Being he’s set up as a quarter miler though, that range isn’t great so no idea how well it would do for an hour long ride.

I’m thinking a 120V system would be the way to go, would require ten 12V batteries to act as a load bank and 120V generator heads are commonly available. Since a generator would be providing the power, smaller batteries could be used which would be easier to place in a smaller car.

I wonder how hard it would be to convert a 250cc motorcycle engine to burn diesel? That should produce usable power like a 750CC gasoline engine, for this purpose.

Heh heh, I actually find this to be very exiting! My idea (doesn’t matter to me that it’s not an original idea, but I had worked out how I wanted to do it before I read about it) works, and works great!! :slight_smile:

The reason I like the lower voltage system is battery expense and weight.