Do you remember when there were very few gasoline stations?

While many of those criticising the electric vehicle market have focused upon the limited number of charging stations around the world, we only need to cast our minds back 80 years to see the same situation for gasoline stations. Yes, Nissan has done the electric car industry a very interesting turn with a video commenting upon the lack of gasoline stations just 80 years ago.

The company also openly discussed the fact that there were no highways or motorways in those days, thereby leading to a slower implementation of gasoline stations, a problem which electric car charging points will not have today. So, are we too critical of the electric car market and the growing charging station network?

What the video says is very true.

What is often forgotten is that most people in the developed world have convenient access to electricity in their home. This electricity can be used to charge up electric vehicles from the comfort of your home. As I write this, I have batteries used for my Electric Go Kart being charged conveniently at home. I don’t have to travel to a gasoline station.

I’ve also been to super bike races where the Electric Super bikes were also there. They used the electricity in their pit garage to charge up their bikes. Meanwhile, the gasoline bikes had to buy and transport gasoline to fuel up their bikes.

Al

Hi Al Bunzel

First of all, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

That video prompts some very interesting thoughts - we already have an electric grid so why arent we using it more?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

[QUOTE=Editor;15182]Hi Al Bunzel
First of all, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]
Thank you.

[QUOTE=Editor;15182]
That video prompts some very interesting thoughts - we already have an electric grid so why arent we using it more?
[/QUOTE]
We are not using the electric grid more because in my opinion collectively, people have not thought to use it. We don’t challenge or question the way we do things. We do things because we saw someone else do things. Most people are followers and hence follow established thought patterns and ways of doing things.

Currently, many people think the only way a car is powered is by gasoline or diesel. The idea of alternative energy sources to power our cars has not even crossed people’s minds.

Then you have thought leaders who discourage Electric Cars and for people who don’t know better, they will believe these thought leaders.

How do we change this?

Become a thought leader and influence others.
With cars, this means participating in motor sport, car shows etc and using the internet to demonstrate that Electric Cars are viable and that we have an under utilized electric grid.

Regards
Al

Hi Al

I agree with all of your points there - in the olden days (before the internet) we were more at the beck and call of government propaganda but that has changed with the internet. Governments still try to influence us but there is more information out there than ever before, especially about EVs.

Once governments realise there is no stopping EVs that will be the major turning point :slight_smile:

Regards,

Mark

Al,
I couldn’t possibly agree more. You summed it up perfectly!