General Motors pushes charging points for Chevrolet Volt

In a move which was long-awaited, General Motors/Chevrolet and an array of other motoring companies across the US have come together to promote the introduction of more charging points. This is timed perfectly to assist sales of the award-winning Chevrolet Spark and the Chevrolet Volt which are the company’s latest venture into the electric vehicle market.

One of the main problems this market has at the moment is a lack of charging stations up and down the country although hopefully additional investment by governments and car manufacturers will help to fill any gaps.

The other issue that I have found with charging stations is the cost to charge is more than driving a 20 mpg car. It is ridicules. Why bother unless you are a rich greeny and can afford to be green at any cost. Some of us need to watch where our money goes. $2/hr is really a punch in the nose to EV drivers. I’m glad I got a Volt because I at least have a choice in the matter. I’ll just use gas rather than be ripped off.

We have 8 charging stations across the street from my work that charge $1.70 an hour and continue charging even after you are topped off. I paid $4.90 for 50 cents of power. No wonder no one uses them

Jljeeper

Many people have been complaining about the cost of electric car charging stations. Until these issues are ironed out many people will be scared off by the thought of buying a pure electric car. They need to get there act together now!

[QUOTE=Editor;14281]Jljeeper

Many people have been complaining about the cost of electric car charging stations. Until these issues are ironed out many people will be scared off by the thought of buying a pure electric car. They need to get there act together now![/QUOTE]

I work for a City owned Power company with lots of power workers and engineers. Getting them to just add some 110vac outlets for the employees EV’s seems like a real uphill battle. I even pointed out existing parking spots that are on the outside wall of a warehouse where they could safely place about 4-5 110vac outlets and charge us $20/month to park there. They did say they would look into it. They were pretty proud to point out that they had installed a public charging station across the street. I responded by letting them know it was a joke to charge $1.70/hr and even continue charging after the car was fully charged up to $13 a day for 80 cents worth of power. I said no thanks gas is more than 400% cheaper even if I had to be here to disconnect as soon as I was full to avoid further charging fees. They sounded unaware of these facts. Its just like our government coming up with ideas and spending money with no thought process.

Another thumbs up to the Volt giving its owners choice and boycotting the gouging. I couldn’t imagine going from under the thumb of the oil cartel to move under the thumb of the outrageous charging station prices. Who is going to pay four times as much to drive and have to wait several hours for the privilege?