Is Chevrolet serious about the electric vehicle market?

The rollout of the Chevrolet Spark and the Chevrolet Volt in electric vehicle formats has certainly caught the attention of the worldwide motoring media. For many years the company has been refusing to contemplate entry into the electric vehicle market although it has shown interest in the hybrid market as something of a stop gap in the short term.

However, only a few days ago we saw a whole host of stars ferried to pre-Oscar awards using the Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle, putting this new product very firmly in the worldwide shop window. Has Chevrolet finally grasped the electric vehicle nettle?

Personally I’m a little worried. I think Chevrolet knocked the ball out of the Park with the Volt. There is absolutely no downside to the Volt. I am amazed on how many people are repulsed by the car. The Purists seem to hate it because it has an engine and the Conservatives hate it because Obama likes it and others just don’t want change. The car is beautiful, if you forget to charge it - no problem, If its inconvenient to charge sometimes - no problem, If something unexpected comes up and you need to alter your plans or route - no problem. If you decide you like paying $4 a gallon for gas - no problem, If after 10 years your battery has less range than it did when new - no problem. I’m still looking for just one problem with this design. Just like the slogan says “EV when you want it and gas when you need it”. Out of all the haters of the Volt I have not heard one good point made against it. I am worried that this wonderful design will go by the wayside if people don’t catch on soon. Death of the electric car by the people

Hi Jljeeper

I find your comments very interesting because if you have a look around the Internet it is very difficult to find any negative views on the Chevrolet Volt. Indeed General Motors is already working on the next version of the Chevrolet Volt and Chevrolet Spark with news of a major investment in its South Korean automotive operation.

I agree Jijeeper. The only downside I see is price and hopefully that will improve shortly.

[QUOTE=Editor;14905]Hi Jljeeper

I find your comments very interesting because if you have a look around the Internet it is very difficult to find any negative views on the Chevrolet Volt. Indeed General Motors is already working on the next version of the Chevrolet Volt and Chevrolet Spark with news of a major investment in its South Korean automotive operation.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been all over the internet and find no shortage of negative stories on the Volt. I would say at least 3 to 1 on slamming the Volt. As if their sole purpose is to insult the Volt. Every one I find untruths being told and I comment whenever possible. Have you heard anything from Fox News? Even on this blog there appears to be dislike for the Volt from other EV enthusiasts. Someone mentioned they were surprised that this site even supported the Volt. Some are adamant that the Volt not even be considered an EV at all. I don’t get it at all. I hope you are right. I am really promoting the Volt because I think it is a fantastic design. My use is 97% EV. “An EV with a built in backup” I think for some reason they think that’s cheating. Although many former Prius owners now own Volts, I hear some Prius owners knocking the Volts 40 mpg as horrible when their Prius Gets 50. My average is 860mpg over 3 months. I say good for all EV’s, Good for the Prius and good for the Volt. I am very happy with my Volt purchase and it’s no limits range.

One big problem I see with the Volt is you can’t really rate it with EPA ratings and not really by any standard other than “average commute use” It really performs in real world commutes and competes with EVs under 50 miles, out performs the “top dog” Prius in commutes up to 150 miles. In most situations it will out perform mpg of any ICE car in production to date. (unless someone can enlighten me?) Maybe People reject the comparisons because the Volt is actually two cars in one. A BEV is more efficient but has limited range. A Prius gets better ICE only mileage but can’t compete with a Volts average mpg with trips under 150 miles. The Volt gets beat up on narrowly focused areas when it really needs to be looked at as a whole system. If that makes sense

[QUOTE=Editor;14905] if you have a look around the Internet it is very difficult to find any negative views on the Chevrolet Volt. [/QUOTE]

Definitely not true! :slight_smile:

I’ve been all over the internet and find no shortage of negative stories on the Volt. I would say at least 3 to 1 on slamming the Volt. As if their sole purpose is to insult the Volt

I’ve noticed the same thing with E.V.'s in general, but I agree that the Volt seems to have a special place in the haters hearts. I felt this could be tied to political nonsense. Sort of a lightning rod for repub. vs. Dem… That’s a shame because the Volt is very versitile vehicle that could do a lot of good for a lot of people if they could only open their minds a bit.

Most People that drive the Chevy volt that I have personally talked to are averaging over 150 MPG. (of course that is a combination of Gasoline and Electricity) but from a MPG stand point there are not any other PHEVs or HEVs that can compete.

Not to mention that the resale value is outstanding.

Perhaps yes, news says they doubled their investment for electric cars. Reviewers like the 2014 Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid’s useful electric-only driving range and composed driving dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor
if you have a look around the Internet it is very difficult to find any negative views on the Chevrolet Volt.

Hey Adam, something we both can agree on.

I believe this will change as the public gets educated with accurate information.

My update,
I have not bought gas for my Volt since Nov. 2013 (7 months) and 6,500 miles. 6500 miles on this tank of gas and it is still 2/3 full. About 900 miles/month, commute is 36 miles each day. 91% electric with normal driving. Believe it or not lots of people fit the profile to benefit from a Volt.
My Average cost is 2 pennies per mile (18 month average)

I know some argue the Volt MPG isn’t real because it doesn’t account for the electricity. Well here is another way to look at it.

It cost me $18 to drive 900 miles.
At $3.60 gallon, $18 buys 5 gallons.
900 miles \ 5 gallons = 180 mpg. Direct cost equivalent

The Volt can truly be a 200 MPG car with absolutely no limitations.

For some reason this makes some people mad.

I agree with Jjeeper, that Chevy created a great vehicle. The only negative for the car is its high price tag (which will decrease over time). Chevy provided an electric vehicle that overcomes the limitations of a lack of a substantial charging infrastructure without resorting to a large battery pack costing 10’s of thousands of dollars thus making it affordable to a larger percentage of the population.

Don’t forget about “zero” range anxiety. The used Volt market is a real bargain. If I had only known I could have bought 2.