DIY J1772 plug

I just bought a used electric car and now I realize that to extend my driving range I need to charge at the public stations with a J1772 plug.

Paying $200 on up for a J1772 adapter really doesn’t work for me. So my plan is to build one myself. Right now my plan is to make a J1772 plug for around $10
that’s all I really think they should cost anyway.

I am just getting started and could use some help if anyone has an idea what kind of pins are used? or where I could buy the pins cheap?

If I can’t find the pins, then my next idea is to get some nails and other assorted pieces of small metal rods I have laying around the house and drive down to a charging station and by a process of elimination stick them into the plug and see which ones fit.

After I have my pins my plan is to get some type of container, either pcv or paper, solder wires onto the pins, and put them in the container, then fill it up with epoxy, put the plug I need on the other end and I have an adapter for under $10 bucks.

oh yeah, it also needs a couple of resisters, I need to buy those also, and I will probably put a switch on it, so I can turn it off before connecting or disconnecting it.

has anyone done this before?

Batteryman, Your $10 price is unrealistic. There are several places where you can buy a J1772 inlet…ready to go and reasonably priced. Do not try to mickey mouse a connector if you value your car…you WILL regret it.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I always feel like I am on the right path when people are telling me something can’t be done.

I have finished the J1772 adapter and it works like a charm.
several people told me it would catch fire and other worse things, but after using it to charge for countless hours it never even got slightly warm.

The only part I bought was the epoxy, so I only ended up spending $5.50 which was under my $10 goal.

The electronic parts were given to me, but I was told you could buy them at radio shack for around a dollar.

I had a old switch that I put on it just so I could turn it on and off when I wanted to,
it’s not necessary but I just like the idea of being able to control if the electricity was on or off.
I put all the electronics in a plastic dental floss container, just so they would be protected from the rain and elements.

So if there is anyone out there who does not want to throw away $200 or more on a simple little adapter then consider making one for yourself like I did.

I didn’t say that it couldn’t be done. It’s just not a good idea to jury rig such an item. I’m an electromechanical engineer so it’s just not my mindset to do such things. I’m getting ready to manufacture the J1772 combo connector which has taken considerable time & effort because it had to meet UL 2251 standards; flame test, tensile strength, moisture & uv resistant. What did you use for the body and contact pins?

I found a round piece of plastic that was the perfect size and I filled it with epoxy, that made it super strong and a pretty good insulator.

for the pins I used nails because they are cheap and the perfect size.

The contact pins and finished product can be had for cheap money (and done right) at: Modularevpower OR TucsonEV