Delta Q J1772 conversion

This is so Awesome. Dave just came up with another cool item.
I have 2 things to show off.

First off let’s explain what a J1172 plug is for the people who don’t know. This is the big round plug that most electric cars plug into. (Tesla’s use a slightly different version)

So if your gem car has a J1772 plug you can charge your Gem car at any local charge station.

#1 this is a J-1772 input that replaces your cars stock 110 input for Delta Q. It gives you a J1772 input plug adaptor to power your delta Q. Public Charge stations give you a 220v output, the delta q will take either 220v or 110v no need to change anything they just work with any voltage between 110 and 220.

So a user would install this in your car and then just start using a J1172 instead of a standard 110 plug.

And if you don’t have a 220 J1772 at home no problem. Dave has a 110v volt TO J1172 plug adaptor for home. So one end would plug into your homes standard 110 volt plug as normal and the other end would be the new J1772 male that would plug into your cars new J1772 female

The 2nd cool thing is this Delta Q that has been re Tooled by David to accept a J1772 input and then plug directly into your cars battery pack. So this is how this could or would work.

Your cars Stock Delta q would be plugged into a standard 110 volt or J1172 plug charging away a 12 amps as normal.

This 2nd Charger can be a “Stay at home charger” or throw it in the trunk and charge at a “public charge station charger”.

If you decide to use it at home you could Fast charge at almost 30 amps with your stock charger charging at 12 amps and this 2nd charger plugged into a separate 20 amp circuit going at 12 amps.

Ok Here we go

The J1772 plug needs a 12v source to allow a charge to happen. So the orange pig tail contains connects to a Grey Box at the end that Dave installed. In the box is a 12v converter Along with a Adaptor that allows this J1172 to plug into the cars stock Charger.

Are you kidding me? Have you even tested it? :grimacing:

O yes I tested it and it works like a charm. I have a 12v power source and I plugged that into the J1172 grey box and plugged it into the car the Delta Q fired up and started getting after it :+1:

That’s a relief. The big saw was out.
What’s the plan, other than sending me large sums of cash?:astonished:

Well I’m getting the Grey box installed right now. I guess I’ll just pull power from
The cars constant, 12v from the DC/DC converter. How much power do u think the 12v converter in the grey box uses?

Very little. An led and a small relay when charging.
The bms-24 can supply the 12v from the charger port. Then the bms shuts down the J1772.
You could also add a charge switch, but I don’t think it’s needed.
Ok as you have it now, using my DQ to BMS interface. I just want you to be aware of all possibilities.
Are you on 120vac yet?

The pig tail David made was long so I could play around with mounting locations. I decided to mount the conversion box directly on the back side of the hood so I just shortened up the pig tail.

I prefer the stock setup on my GEM. Besides I put a BMW emblem where u put the charger port. Also, with my stock 115V setup, I can just carry an extension cord and steal electricity at standard outlets I have discovered outside apt bldgs and businesses. Although, I very rarely do that anymore since I upgraded to 7/16 of a junkyard Leaf lithium pack. Besides, I have a large rooftop solar power plant that I just upgraded.

1 Like

My J1172 plugs into 110 OR 220. So you can get a charge at home or on the road. This set up give you the flexibility to charge anywhere.

What your talking about is called “Gurrela Charging” taking power from random outlets, where I come from it’s frowned on. In my opinion only charge where the owner of the outlet is cool with it. “Gurrela Charging” gives all electric car owners a bad rap

Here is what the inside of the hood looks like

Hey I know it’s only been a week or so since I installed this plug, I gotta say I love it. With as much un plugging and plugging I do this is/Was a nice upgrade. I like how the plug is NOT a friction connection. Example a loose traditional 110plug is No good. It’s got to be a nice tight 110 v connection or your gonna have issues. This J1172 just slides in and Locks. It uses the Latch to secure a good connection NOT friction. Another fun fact. As soon as your thumb activates the latch release, you can hear the delta Q charger turn on or off. So the plug is “Only Hot” when it’s plugged into the car and Locked.

2 Likes

Need more help testing.
Grant has an 86v 29a fast J1772 charger but not a car to test with. (I guess) :slight_smile:
Any volunteers?
A 20s to 22s lithium Gem should work.

You still looking for testers and if so what hardware (Charger/bms/battery) are you looking to test? I have a L2 low amp Charger I used for my Chevy Volt before I got rid of it. Specs are here https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-20-lcs-20p-16-amp-level-2-ev-charging-station?search=LCS-20&category_id=66

Though I pulled it out of my breaker box when I installed a second Tesla HPWC but didn’t end up using that breaker so I can put it back in if needed.

If you still need testers let me know the specs and I may be able to test on mine.

M@

86v max
29a on 240v
14a on 120v
A huge charger. Grant has reservations about finding room for it.
Middle picture is what Grant has. He may send it to you.
If it works for you. Chargers are $300 and J1772 are $100.
No need to buy. Testing is fine.

MVC-015F

J1772-Anderson

Hmm I charge over 86v so won’t work for me, though I do like the idea of charging at 29 amps. if I ever put plates on mine I may follow up with you on possibly getting a higher max charge setup.

Thanks!

M@

1 Like

That’s what @grantwest is waiting for. Sitting on my bench for a month.
I hate to put a lot of work in it unless it’s wanted.
If there are any smps engineers on here, I can use some help.
My buddy Steve is, but he still works for a living.:rofl:

Dito on Grant and 2002’ request. :slight_smile: Looking for 98v if possible.