Daytime running lights and sequential turn signals

I get the stink eye from people occasionally and it tends to always involve a turn. I’ve come to the conclusion that people can’t see my turning signals well enough so I decided to improve them.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you…

These are the lights I used. The main annoying thing about them is the controller box and wiring is located at the beginning of the turning signal, not the end. This makes it a bit trickier to install in conventional spots. I got lucky, I was able to hide mine behind and under the front license plate.

I think I will follow a similar design cue in the back as well. I’ll use one of those truck tailgate lights. Maybe this guy.

Sidenote, the Westworld Season 3 trailer came out yesterday and I happened to see a future car in it that had a similar style. Neat.

1 Like

Awesome! I’ve had the same problem with driver’s and making turns. I installed led strips vertically for rear turn and brake signals that also strobe but didn’t give much thought to the front signals.

Geeon LED Strip Lights Waterproof 12V Red (620-630nm) for Auto Car Truck Motorcycle Boat Interior Lighting UL Listed 30CM/12’’ 3528 SMD Pack of 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G628C18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pRUnDbTEB3Y4P

Qiorange Flash Strobe Controller Flasher Module for LED Brake Tail Stop Light 12-16V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QQ6YUC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.RUnDbZFTEW6P

That strobe controller is nifty. I can imagine it being annoying as hell in a traffic jam, but other than that.

The way I was thinking was…I really want people to see me! This is the turn signal, brakes work the same, they just stop flashing after about 3 cycles.

Can you get some up close pics of yours?

Ask and ye shall receive.
The video was shot very early in the morning so that’s why they look so bright. During regular sunlight I think they are just right. Not too bright, but not invisible.

I forgot you had that rack on the front, looks great. I was just looking through amazon for flush mount LED marker lights, flow LED strips, I need to do something. Such a simple mod but looks awesome and serves a purpose.

Yeah the rack saved me. I initially debated putting led strips into the recess right below the stock headlights but it just didn’t look right to me in testing.

Great job. The New Audi’s have tail lights like your turn signals very cool thanks for the videos and links. It’s great to see people doing mods and providing info for others.
2 thumbs up

1 Like

And Matt: couldn’t you just cut and extend and controller boxes if they were in your way?

And you think you could cut down the strips making them smaller if you needed?

Thanks Grant. I’m quite pleased with how it came out.

You could. It’s that 6 wire ribbon cable. If I really needed a mega clean look I’d desolder the cable from the board, but this is 50% beater, 50% toy, so zip ties under the basket it is. :sunglasses:

Absolutely. Most, if not all of these led strips tend to have cut points on the strip you can see if you look close. If you really wanted to get custom you can buy big ole rolls of these “led strips” and solder on the controller.

This is what the daytime run lights on my 2016 It would be cool if they had a sequencing turn signal in a graded in the stock daytime running light

It’s a clever solution. I bet the next new generation will have them all in one unit just for the parts market alone.

I think I might steal the “half matte black half shiny black” paint scheme you got going on.