Curt's battery issues

Sorry all - I am not tracking this at all.

Who is Todd?
What is 1500us
What is scp?
What delay?

Curt just posted that maybe everything was working with the BMS hooked up.

Just a little lost.

Mike, is there more than one profile in my controller?

Sorry, discussion on FB.
scp is jk bms short circuit protection. Default is 1500us delay. Curt was tripping it.

Todd is Todd Hoffman. He has a goliath battery and ant bms. His bms tripped precharging his T1 controller and needed to change the delay.
Ant bms displays “precharge fail” when seeing a short circuit.

Curt
Not sure what you mean by profile but in general no. The controllers only allow one configuration. There are multiple drive profiles, for example High and Low.

Yes, I told him that he could access other profiles if they were programmed.
I didn’t know if your standard DCF had anything.
I also told him that we don’t mention it upfront, as we have enough to deal with. :slight_smile:

NP -
Yes my DCF (the configuration that goes into the Sevcon controller) is setup with two drive profiles. Default (High) that allows max speed (RPM of the motor) and Drive Profile 1 or D1 (Low) that allows for about half speed (RPM of the motor). Reverse is the third drive profile of course and it is set to about 1/3 speed.

1 Like

It looks as though you have D1 wired to Sevcon. Any idea if it works with the gem switch scheme.

D1 does work with the stock GEM switch -
I need to pay more attention the next time I test a board, but I think F and D1 go low in High and D1 only low in Low. But I don’t remember for sure. That is for another conversation. LOL - I think we have lost a year of our lives trying to figure that out.

Yes, we have. Fortunately nothing is promised.
Best idea might be leave turf position as neutral, which is more important.
Then add instructions on adding a switch. As I recall, yes, d1 needs a direction selected in addition to d1.

If we were to come up with useful mode, I would pick economy. Polaris limits speed only slightly, but lowers torque to about 76%.
This means that you can still drive fast but accel and hills aren’t allowed to eat up battery capacity.
Torque=current.

Yep, but I don’t think that is how it works - not going down that road again. It works as built… lol

Yes, after what 25 or so AC conversions looking back I would say that Low/turf as Neutral would have been a good way to go. Very few people use Low/turf, mostly on those with kids - but the kids are smart enough to just flip the switch… LOL Every kit that I have sent has D1 active with low/truf.

QUOTE:
If we were to come up with useful mode, I would pick economy. Polaris limits speed only slightly, but lowers torque to about 76%.
This means that you can still drive fast but accel and hills aren’t allowed to eat up battery capacity.
Torque=current.

Hmmm - I like that, just cut back on the tourqe - we should talk more :smile:

1 Like

@Inwo
@Curtwood
Are we all good here?

Still doesn’t like high speed pulls from slow to max throttle. I’ve installed a bms bypass for those occasions when I want to show-off. Other than that, I run with the bms, and always charge with it.

@Curtwood
If I remember correctly you are running 10.1 gears? if so, they can pull a lot of AMPS, you might be exceeding the load on the BMS just long enough to trip it.
As long as you are good we are.

I’m good. Just have to get a good feel for how hard I can push it.

I would not be afraid to add a little more delay.
The bms has a hard limit of 400a instant trip though.

Will probably try that