Chevy Volt Battery Install -> 2000 GEM 4 seater in San Diego

I’m not getting the LED to come on or the BMS to come out of storage. Is it a setting problem or did I not wire up my resistor / 2n2222 up right.

Here are my bms settings

There’s a trick to it. Let’s ask @grantwest he does it every day.
Try turning it off and on.

Connected to the “chg” side of plug?

Battery may be too cold. I don’t remember if that matters.

Tried cycling the power, even updated the firmware since there was a charging bug listed in on of the revisions. No dice.

I don’t have the temp sensor connected. Could try that and see if it makes a difference.

I’m connected to the left red/blk wires of the charge/discharge plug. Will the bms go into charge mode without the chrg/discharge cable plugged in? Trying to figure out if it’s the bms or my resistor wiring.

Guess we’ll wait to see what @grantwest has to say

It will work without the chg plug. It may need the sensor as it is needed for soc to work.

Tried with the sensor, no dice.

The BMS isn’t kicking out of storage mode into charge so gotta be something wonky with my settings

Mode depends on current direction thru shunt.
Run charger manually and it will display charge mode and current.
Is there any chance the output of bms “chg” was shorted. Shorting the 60v output will damage the coil driver circuit.
If it was only connected thru the resistor it can not damage anything.
If you think you circuit is miswired, check for ~60v on output.

Grant posted a picture of a charge enable icon on one of the screens. I can’t find it now.

If he doesn’t answer soon, I’ll hook one up here.

Hummm?
I didn’t take the time to read the entire thread.
In short what’s the problem

Trying to get the Chargery BMS hooked up to the DeltaQ to control charging. I built the harness with guidance from @Inwo to down-step the voltage from the BMS to Charger. Haven’t hooked up the charger yet but was hoping to see the LED light up indicating turning on the charger. Can’t get the charge enable to turn on.

High cell is around 3.78. R voltage is at 3.90V. Have cycled the power and updated the firmware.

Any ideas of things to try?

When you un hook the Charge control from the BMS and then ground the Delta Q does the charger kick on?

If when you un hook the charge controller from the BMS and Ground the white wire from the Delta Q to battery B- it starts up either 1 or 2 things
#1 the charge controller you made is NO GOOD.
Or
#2 the charge control portion of the BMS is broken.

I have had a BMS that the Charge controller was finicky. I turn off my BMS at the Main unit and cycle it and that usually fixes it. The Led light turns on and the charger starts charging

Is there an indicator on the bms display that shows charge enabled? I can’t remember where it is.

I haven’t actually wired up the Delta-Q yet. wanted to see the LED light before hooking it up to the white wire. Does the charger need to be hooked up to B- and the hot side of the fuse to fire up? (with the white wire to B-).

would putting a multimeter to pins 1&2 on the BMS charge port tell me if I’m getting the BMS to enable charge? Thinking start there and I know if it’s the BMS or something downstream?

another idea… Is the charge control portion the same for the Com1 and chg/dhg ports? I have the Chargery charger as well. I could hook that up via Com1 and see if it kicks on.

Yes to both…

ok… no volts on pins 1&2.

I’ll get the Delta-Q wired this weekend to at least fire it up and make sure that works stand alone.

So if it’s the BMS, @Inwo can you service these?

I tried hooking up the Chargery charger and connected to the BMS on COM1 port to see if the BMS would kick that on. No dice.

Wired up the Delta-Q. charger fires up when the white wire is connected to B-.

So good new and bad news…

Good news - I emailed Chargery and got an email back. They said the charger won’t enable if any alarms are triggered. “Diff of Cell Voltage” was triggering so when I increased the number in the settings, that got the charger to enable.

Bad news - when I was testing pins 1&2 with the multimeter… I slipped and pop, zap… no bueno. The BMS still powers on but i’m pretty sure the Chg/Dhg doesn’t work anymore. @Inwo - help! Is this something you can take a look at if i send it to you?

Yes, I can fix it, or show you how. Can you do board level repairs?

Humm… so never done board repair work before. But I am an IT guy and have build computers before. This reason I’m throwing so much time at the older GEM is I view it as my learning platform. If you’re willing to teach, I’m willing to learn.

That being said, if me bugging you is getting old… happy to just send it out. I’m not convinced my charge controller was done right. Didn’t get the led to light up that’s what got me to checking the pins.