Chevy Volt Battery Install -> 2000 GEM 4 seater in San Diego

Deutsche connector right off the side of the motor? Just unplugged it and tried again, no dice. Error 77 when I hit the pedal.

Wondering if there’s a regen setting I have to increase on the controller?

Got me…

is the controller status unknown? ie it was not working before any work has been done to upgrade batteries?

Brand new from flight systems (not a rebuild) probably less than 50 miles on it.

FSIP wouldn’t take a t1 as a core so that’s how I ended up with a new one.

Should work at 95v. If not, you will have to keep discharging until it will.

Ok… will turn the headlights on in the am and run down the voltage. Will report back
Thanks

Dont worry about heat on the DeltaQ . It has a thermal sensor on it , If it gets hot it drops back charging amps . The charge light (usually only #5 or #4) will start blinking in protection mode . The lower internal resistance of Lithium batteries will easily trigger protection mode in a hot climate . Since I live in south Florida my DeltaQ pretty much lives in protection mode . You could add a small 120v fan connected to charge cord , would only come on when plugged in .

2 Likes

Looks like 94v is the magic number for my controller. Once I dropped below that, the wheels would spin and no error codes.

Next up, BMS and the charger. I plugged in the Chargery BMS with the cabling supplied by @Inwo to the batteries. Nothing blew up and everything seems to be working (I’ll have to figure out how to configure it - any suggestions on the best thread for that, let me know).

Have a question about wiring from the BMS to the Delta-Q. Dave hooked me up the with the connector and white wire to enable the charger. Where do I connect that to on the BMS?

I’m thinking it’s the far left red wire in the harness that goes to Chg/Dhg Controller?

PS… do you guys use the temperature sensor, alarm, and/or LED?

I don’t…

1 Like

Correct port but you dare not connect that 60 volt output to the 3.3v white wire from delta-q.
Is there an interface led with the things you have?

If not you will need to buy or build one to connect bms to charger. A small relay or ssr will work too.

Chargery dot com for instructions.
If you can use enough of your battery capacity using 24s, you may need to cut back to 23s.
Maybe @LithiumGods will do the math for you.
24s at 3.9v versus 23s at 4.15v

Ok… glad you mentioned that and I asked! Looking at this thread(Another Chevy Volt Lithium thread - #15 by TJelecD) #7… I don’t have that. Think when I bought the bms from you (about a year ago), I didn’t know what I was going to do for a charger. Orginally was just going to do off board chargers but the decided to add the delta-q later. Do you sell these? If so, let me know $ and I’ll PayPal you.

Thanks!!

This guy?

the correct profile for your deltaq would be #135 . 93.4v Deltaq vary some so it might go a little higher .

Nope.
looks the same. Are you an electronics guy?
I can build one for $25 or show you how.

I’m decent… amature but learning. Would be happy to give it a go. Just let me know what parts I need and I’m sure I can get it together with some guidance.

Any led, 10k, any npn switching transistor.
Transistor theory:
Small current through B to E, saturates transistor.
Current can flow unimpeded from C to E.
E is B- from bms.
C is enable line from charger.
Current path from DQ white wire to B- enables charger.
No current through led and Base Emitter junction disables charger.

1 Like

Let me get some parts ordered but it seems simple enough. Will circle back on this when I have everything I need.

@Inwo not sure what profile you shipped the Delta-q with but guessing whatever got me closest to 96v? If I’m using the BMS to control charging and set Over Charge Protection(P) Voltage = 3.9, won’t that stop the charger at 94v and keep me under the limit for my controller? @LithiumGods thank for commenting.

Brings me to another question, is 94v max for a T2 unusual? Are they usually pretty consistent at 96v? Reason I ask, I happen to have another T2 laying around in my garage. Wondering if it makes sense to try swapping that out to see if that will let me run up to 96v. Only hesitation is the one I have installed now is actually new and the other is one I picked up off ebay a while ago. Unsure of it’s condition so I might want to have it rebuilt if I’m going to leave it in permanently

@Inwo submitting my homework assignment. How does this look?

Had to buy all the parts in bulk so I can redo it 50 times if I need to.

Is there any way to test it before plugging into the bms and charger?

Should be safe to plug into bms end. Led will be on when bms is calling for charge.
Set bms volts lower than measured volts and led goes off.
Then connecting white dq wire to collector should be safe.