Chevy Volt Battery Install -> 2000 GEM 4 seater in San Diego

Don’t need the work. I need $100 for my trouble.
Take the cover off look for the two components nearest the chg/discharge port.
Heat sink is soldered to the board. Bad one will be zero ohms from tab to lead.
Clip the 2 leads and heat tab with a large solder iron or gun until it slides or falls off.
Then if you learned to do a good job, remove the other one to swap. No need for the discharge one.
Or you can order a new one if no hurry.
If traces are burned, on your own. It’s more involved than I can explain.

Send me your address. A label is over the top on your box.

Been meaning to close out this thread and post an update.

After I smoked the BMS, ended up sending it to @Inwo for repair. He got it back up and running, sent me the connector for the Delta-Q to be managed by the BMS and that got my charger up working and controlled by the BMS.

Spent some time doing cable management and trying to get things as tidy as possible. Ended up securing the batteries with a combination of wood blocks secured to the battery tray floor and some straps. Heavy duty Velcro to secure the BMS in the battery compartment and the display to my dashboard.

A little worried about the suspension issue, I left the wet cel batteries in the front battery trays. I’m using them to power the stereo and light-bar. I have a 12 volt marine 2 bank battery charger mounted under the rear seat to keep them charged and maintained while in the garage. Down the road, I might just add 2 more volt batteries up front and power the 12 volt stuff off the Delta-Q. For now, I just want to spend driving the car and enjoying for a while vs tinkering with it.

With that done, did some ripping around the neighborhood. Just like everyone before me reports, the performance is fantastic!!! Not surprising the ride is rough. Honestly though, I don’t think it rode all that great before so I’m not sure I notice a difference between before and after lithium conversion.

Couple of things I’m still working on that I’ll probably spin up a different thread and/or do more research.

Before diving into the conversion, I would get a pedal stuck error code every now and then so I just replaced the pedal with a direct replacement from linemaster. At $135 for a full replacement, why not just refresh everything in there so I can pull the pedal out of the equation. This mostly seemed to solve my problem; although I’ve noticed that because of the rough ride… my foot bounces around a bunch which translates to the speed pulsating. Wondering if I can tune out the sensitivity in the pedal with a controller setting?

• BMS balancing… i parked the car a couple of weeks ago and the cell diff was around 50 mV. 2-3 weeks later, it crept up to 150mV difference. I have balancing on during charge and storage. Not sure why i’m getting further out of balance and probably need to mess with some settings.

• Suspension is on the list of something I want to mess with. Been watching this thread very closely to see what folks come up with - A little fresh air(shocks) never hurt anybody I’m game to go the QA1 route but figure a bunch of folks are already headed down this path so just waiting to see what they come up with.

All in all, what a fun project and I’ve learned a lot. Thanks to everyone on this board for posting about their experiences and how they did their installations. Couldn’t have done it without this forum and the supporting community. Now I just want to get my hands on a couple more GEMs so I can do it again and play with different configurations.

Anyone reading this with wet-cells thinking about lithium, do it!

I bought my Gem 2 years ago and the typical frustration with junk batteries has finally gotten me on the Lithium battery train. I just purchased 2 Brand new 48V Chevy Volt batteries, BMS, new charger and cables. I have a brand new Ride 4 Fun 7.5 HP Motor with Ride 4 Fun charger. The controller was reprogrammed by Ride 4 Fun. I have read tons of threads on this site for the conversion, but I haven’t seen any diagram or pictures of the wiring from start to finish…meaning from extension cord to accelerator. Seems like most pix or diagrams only show the controller to shunt. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I should get my system this week.

Are you one of the guys that steered this guy wrong which cost him dearly. He says you participated in the advice given to him which was wrong. Maybe you guys should stick with your day jobs. Good thing I dont do this at TESLA. I see your name written all over his comments below.

How do I make sure we don’t go past the 3.0 V per cell minimum? I just want to get all our ducks in a row through you versus relying on these online lithium junkies who steered me the wrong way.
I could show you so many emails that told me to hook these up in series to get the 86V…after running off the top 12 V with my lights on. They also are recommending a “spoof wire” to fool my controller in allowing 11 extra volts over the default of 86V

Someone needs a hug…

1 Like

Looks like once a year, that hug is needed… LOL @JarJarJava