GEM car owners in Phoenix?

Looking for GEM owners in phoenix (Apache Junction) area. Would be fun to have someone to bounce ideas and drive around with. I have a 2000 2 seat. No mods yet but lots of plans.

Hello from west Phoenix! I have a 2001 4 seater, a little too far to make it over there with the Gem but any questions feel free to PM me!

Thanks for the reply! Will PM with some ideas and Mod plans…

How are your batteries at the moment, mine are subpar. Looking at options like splitting a chevy volt pack with someone and converting to lithium.

Mine are new and work great. How much $ is the conversion? I guess I haven’t considered it yet.

Looking around the entire module is around $2500. Then a decent BMS and charger is around $500 as well as all the wiring, very labor intensive but looks fun!

You would be better holding off for now since the 400 pound battery pack is accounted for in the suspension. You would need to replace the shocks as well for a softer ride.

1 Like

yeah, I think I will sit tight for now but thanks for the info…

If you shop, you can get the lithium done for right around $1000 per car. You need to buy a used pack out of the Volt and the 2 of you can split it and have 30 mile range each, or split again for 4 15 mile cars depending on need. The weight problem isn’t as urgent as some think because with the 30 mile pack you can just leave the front batteries in the car but not wired in and the front end doesn’t change.
If you want to do it the easy way, you but the packs on ebay or if one of the guys here has a set, but if you’re willing to do the fun project you can do it for less than new lead batteries and it will be a completely different car!

I’ve spent $1500 so far and my 4 seater is done and I have everything I need for my 2 seater except for the BMS. Once I get ready to do the conversion this winter, I will buy that for $300 range and I’m golden and will have 2 cars with over 30 mile range for <$2,000 all in. I’m saying 30 miles because I’ve never run mine empty yet. I’ve gone 25 miles on a charge and still had an estimated 40% charge left. I believe I can go 45 miles but haven’t tested that so I say 30 so you won’t be disappointed.

Definitely temping and will keep looking for people interested. Thanks!

I live in Surprise and have a 2014e2 that I converted to Lithium last fall using Volt Batteries.

Thanks for the reply

I’m in SE Gilbert. Power Ranch. Power Rd & Germann. I run a Power Ranch Cart Club in the neighborhood and have a blast with it. We cruise weekly and the gem gets a lot of use. Feel free to join up!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1041128159389372