Cart blowing house breaker

Just purchased a 2000 gem e2. plugged it in to charge for the first time last night. Using a 25’ 10 gauge extension cord plugged into outlet in carport. checked on it this morning and it had popped the breaker at the panel. Reset the breaker and checked on the Dig. display…it read 80 and the breaker popped off again. Is it the cart or a weak breaker? [15 Amp] Is heat a factor? I live in Phoenix and the daytime temps are 105 - 110.

Which charger?
Only thing on circuit?

The car should only be pulling 10Amps from your 110 outlet. Can you try a diffrent outlet in your house or garage to see if the car blows that outlet as well?

Will do. Wondering if plugging it into a power strip with a circuit breaker, then plug that into another outlet might be a safe idea? Or, is that offering too much resistance?

Yes a Power strip plugged into a Multi 110 outlet with a real small gauge extension cord 100+ feet is the preferred way to charge your gem. The longer the extension cord and the thinner gauge wire the better.

The reason I mentioned the power strip was for the circuit protector. Thought it would pop before the house breaker and save me the trip to the box. I have heavy duty power strips used with my music gear. And no…you should NOT use a cord longer than 25’ and smaller than 12 gauge. there is no need to be an a$$hole, grantwest

Hey don’t get your knickers in knots I was just trying to be funny. Ok on a serious note run the thin gauge extension cord to your neighbors house if it pops the breaker in his house then, climb up the telephone pole and connect directly to the HIGH voltage wires. Please report back or have a friend take a video

@grantwest you need to wear a hat when you spend the 4rth out in the sun.

Ps. How do you know he’s not your neighbor?

@Dave this guy sounds like like one of my neighbors LOL

Hiring an electrician to check the breaker at the box. I think it my be weak. Thanks to all who replied with such good advice. Those of us that know very little about electric carts/cars may need answers to seemingly dumb questions from time to time. I hope to be educated rather than belittled. At least that was how I ran my classroom for 30 years…and it worked!

Hey sorry if my scarcizim had bad timing. I thought you would get a laugh and not take it personally. Hope you get it fixed.

Thanks. I’m over it :sunglasses:

so it was a weak breaker and the car is charging fine now?

Yes. It was on a 20 amp breaker that was weak. Car is charging on another indoor outlet and seems to be doing fine. Is not charged to full but, no problems yet. Hope this helps other newbies as well. Thanks “Dougl”