Bought a 2002 GEM truck from a government auction for real cheap

I have been searching the sub forum for a wiring diagram, but I finally came across a thread that helped me realize why no one posts pictures: I need to post a few times first. Sooo… Let me tell you about myself and what I have got. Maybe by the end of the night, I’ll have picture access, and a few friends.

I am not a newb to repair. I bought an old GEM for really cheap hoping it had most of it’s insides. Got it home on a 12x6ft U-Haul. It now sits on my 10 acre minifarm. Hopefully helping me do maintenance someday.

Attached is an initial picture before the drive home.

First thing I did when I arrived home is plug it in. But nothing charged. So i took the seat off and connected all the batteries. They had unhooked them.

Plugged it in again, Still nothing.
So I took the dash apart. It looks like they removed … something. Good news is I have a T2 (I think) at least that is what the last 2 characters say on the device on the left. Still trying to find a wiring diagram or someone that knows what this thing is that is removed.

There is also what looks like a power cord for the back of a computer hanging out at the bottom. I think it is the main charge port power plug…

Okay. Tonight I learned that this is the Zivan NG1 charger, i think. … a $350 piece! That’s more than I paid for the whole GEM.

I have a few Golf Cart external chargers… I wonder if I could just get a female outlet for it and use two 36 volt golf cart chargers instead… hmm

If anyone wants to know where I got the gem, in the states, the main gov auction website is PublicSurplus.com. They had a lot of GEMs where I live. Unfortunately, they are all gone from my city.

hha, welcome to the forum. I did pretty much the same thing myself about a month ago. Same trailer. I bought mine from somebody privately however and mine has “most” of the parts. Plenty of great info on the site.

I’m still finishing up my lithium conversion and documenting all the modifications I’m making in hopes of helping other new people.

That’s fantastic! What thread are you documenting your conversion in? I haven’t been able to go through all the recent topics yet.

hootie hoooo

1 Like

Just checked out your upgrade thread.
Super job.
That should take some of the pressure off me, and you explain it better than I could.
Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks @Inwo, none of it would have been possible without you.

I’m also making the video as we speak. I shoudl have that posted in the new few weeks.