New (to me) 2002 Gem e2

I picked up a 2002 Gem pretty cheap, but it has some drawbacks. The body looks new etc… but there are no batteries, no key, and the charging receptacle was cut out. The current owner had 6 Gem’s that they got at auction.

I have searched all over for a new charging receptacle (the female plug) and can’t come up with one. I figured I have to call the manufacturer and order a new key via using the key code on the ignition. Do you think i can take out the ignition and bring it to a locksmith and they can make a key? I am trying to get this thing running before this Friday.

Next question… batteries… I know everyone says to get the trojans… right now there are 2 batteries in the cart which i am assuming are dead. They are listed as Interstate “Workaholic” U31TMX… my question is…should i get gel, flooded or AGM batts? I guess if my Zivan NG1 was already running with these flooded batteries i should stick with that because i do not see any adjustment to change to gel etc…

Also are there any cheaper options besides Trojan batts? Do i just need group 31 with 100-130 amp hours?

Should i think twice about installing new batteries myself? I need new terminals as they were all cut out.

Finally…is there a rear facing seat option for the e2? I have seen some custom made, and I believe that is the only way to go. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks for any help!

I have seen a number of these former fleet vehicles becoming available as organizations turn over their fleets. It will mean parts and whole GEMs available on Ebay at low prices. For the charger power connector, I use Cooper Wiring Devices part # 5278C, which is available from MSC Industrial Supply as item # 78008844. Cost is about $14. Do not waste more than $150 on a factory key switch! Go to NAPA Auto Parts and ask for part # KS6040 from their Echlin line. Cost is again about $14. This lock is easy to install and uses a common key blank, unlike the GEM key. Both of these parts are common and always in stock. Three of our four GEMs have had both the charger plug and the key switch replaced with the above parts. I try to stay out of the arguments over what battery works best. Consider the total cost, including shipping and your time. Are you willing to spend time filling the batteries? Willing to risk the acid dripping onto the driveway? I use NAPA part # 8272, which is a re branded Dekka group 31 GEL. Dekka says this is the same unit they sell to GEM as OEM. NAPA delivers to our shop for free and takes the old batteries. Since we buy a lot from them, the price is good. They last about five years at our rate of use. Basically, we get what we pay for and everyone’s needs will be different. You can buy new cables from GEM, match up pre-made cables at an auto parts store, or buy a crimper and make your own. Be absolutely sure the new cable is at least as thick as the old cable was. Buy the better zinc plated terminals that won’t quickly corrode. Avoid the unplated copper terminals. Take your time connecting everything up, or have another GEM nearby to work from. Your Zivan NG1 charger is adjustable for different battery types, including GEL. There is a small plug in the top where the adjustment is made. Download the manual from Zivan’s US distributor, Electric Conversions. They will explain how the selector switch is set. These chargers have had the software changed a few years ago. Look on the charger for a small label saying “micro upgraded.” If you see this, good. If not, consider sending the charger to have the upgrade done. All three of our 2002’s have been done and there is an improvement.

Please ask any further questions you may have.

Daniel

Wow thanks for your nice response! That is good news about the plug and the key situation. As far as batteries go, I know everyone has a different opinion but most seem to last 5 years. This Gem will just be for messing around in a gated community and it doesn’t need to go very far, but I do want to make it nice and not skimp out on batteries.

Thanks for the info… I am sure I will run into more problems after I get all the batteries hooked up and errors start throwing on the dash (lol)…

Hey, do you see any problems with this one?
Amazon.com: Leviton 5278-C 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Flanged Inlet Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White: Home Improvement

I was just gonna get white because the cart is white where the receptacle goes. Same part number just different company? I can also get amazon prime shipping … 1 day shipping too

One other thing… The brake fluid is completely gone… should i do any servicing after filling it back to the fill line? Bleed it etc?

[QUOTE=Susp3nc3;9358]Hey, do you see any problems with this one?
Amazon.com: Leviton 5278-C 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Flanged Inlet Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White: Home Improvement

I was just gonna get white because the cart is white where the receptacle goes. Same part number just different company? I can also get amazon prime shipping … 1 day shipping too[/QUOTE]

I’m sure this is the original one–get it from West Marine:

MARINCO Inlet at West Marine

[QUOTE=geminashland;9360]I’m sure this is the original one–get it from West Marine:

MARINCO Inlet at West Marine[/QUOTE]

Anyone have the battery wiring digram for a e2? The manual i found online doesn’t have the diagram.

The best battery value I have seen is at Sam’s. They have the GC12 for $184 a E. Penn battery branded Duracell. (155AH or 75A for 72 min.) . They are big and heavy but will fit. It’s from the same company that makes the Deka batteries. The Sam’s card will let you finance them free for six months.

I just got a 02 with 725 miles on it. It came with 1 year old napa deep cycle gel sealed batteries. The owner was not aware of reseting the zivan charger for Gel. He charged them one at a time before i got it. They had sat for a while and got below the power needed to charge them. Was wondering what is the effect if he did not change the chargers program to GEL. I am getting strange charge readings.
thanks

no way to know .set your zivan to gel . if it hasn’t had the micro upgrade , put a timer on the charger that turns it on every week . remember , with a factory zivan , plugged in, it well never restart and well let the batteries discharge to ZERO. more batteries have died , while plugged in then you can imagine . either send your charger in for the upgrade so it well restart and keep your batteries charged or put a timer on the power cord that turns power off and on every week .

If you are still looking for you plug, ignition key set up and other stuff try Nevaccessories.com. They carry a lot of GEM items.
If you are an ebayer they are " thing2md " and other eBay seller " clvend" has a bunch of items. Or just search the part in eBay, lots of sellers to compare

thanks. is that the only thing a upgraded charger does different. I use it now all the time and charge it each day. I stopped last week because zivan say i will damage the AGM batteres without an upgrade profile. How much is a new or used charger. wondering the best way to go.

AGM? your post says gel, which are they agm or gel ?