Best batteries for resale

If you need batteries and are looking to maximize resale price, what do you choose?

The ones I can get new for $35/ea NQA from a twitchy guy driving an unmarked van.

You’ll never get your money back out of new lead based batteries, might as well just put the O’Reilly 31DCM’s in. About $100/ea give or take.

1 Like

I bought it on the cheap, sans batteries, so I need something. Was going to go lithium, but not willing to go there on my first time fixing a gem. Maybe in the future.

Will these O’Reilly’s have the same range as stock?

Also, I’m guessing from your response you don’t think it’s worth buying gels. The resale market doesn’t care?

Are you flipping it or keeping it?

Your title implies you are flipping it, but tour one post makes it sound like you are maybe keeping it.

31DCMs aren’t bad @ 105Ah. $600 is the best quick bang for the buck if you’re going to flip it. Range is close, depends what “stock” was for your year.

Check with your local Interstate Battery Dealer ask for Economy Marine.

Will those have the range?

Never needed more than 10-15 miles, So not sure. I have bought these to put in the carts I’ve rebuilt and sold. Seem to be decent for wet cells.

I’d hate to sell it to someone and find out that they can only go 10 or 15 miles.

Advertised range new was around 20miles on the older ones. Pre-body style change (2016? ish?). No clue what happened after that change.

What model and year is yours? You can get the same batteries they were sold with, just need to know that info. GEM / Chrysler / Daimler / et. al. / Polaris didn’t make batteries, they co-branded them. Easy to get equivalent if that’s what you really want.

I put 31DCM in all my rebuilds. 54 batteries and counting. 2 duds in 6 years. Orielly replaced both.

2 Likes

This one?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/marine-4990/battery-accessories-16452/batteries---commercial-17660/f78a23ef17b7/super-start-marine-battery-group-size-31/31dcm/4742403

Yes those are the ones I use.

Most buyers don’t care about type of batteries AGE is uppermost on their minds.

1 Like

if I have 2013 gems and the charger is configured for gel how much of an issue would it be for me to put the 31DCM’s in? I keep hearing that changing the algorithm is more of a pain then people lead on. Almost certain all chargers are Delta-Q Thank you.

If you leave it on Gel setting you will lose half your range in 6 months. If you are willing to invest 12 bucks for a few parts setting is not that hard.

To prepare to change the algorithm on a Delta Q on most GEM cars you will need 2 pieces of insulated electrical wire about 6 feet long connected to a momentary pushbutton switch and a couple of small alligator clips
The reason for this is that you will be flat on your back where you can see the indicator lights on the DQ while changing the setting.
Let’s get started.
Shut the main switch off.
Disconnect the red wire coming from the charger at the B+ (battery plus) post.
Connect one of your pushbutton wires to the post and position the other end under the cart in a comfortable position.
Connect the other wire to the charger red wire…
Turn on the main switch.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE PROCEDURE IS GETTING THE CHARGER IN SETUP MODE.
Get under the cart in a comfortable position where you can plug and unplug the charger.
Reach up and plug in the charger. The indicator will flash the current code for 11 seconds in yellow then time out and flash red.
Unplug the charger for 15+ seconds to let it reset.
WE”RE READY TO GO
Plug the charger in and push the button for a bit less than one second (count 1-1000) ¾ of a second is too short, more than a second is too long. If it continues to flash the algorithm for more than 11 seconds YOU’RE IN!!!. If it red lights, you have to start over.
When you’re in, you have 2 minutes to tap the button for a bit less than 4 secounds, count 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, 4-unh. Under 3 seconds is too short, over 4 seconds is too long. If you got It. it will flash the new algorithm. If you red light, start over.
Repeat until you reach your desired algorithm. THEN
Hold the button down for 10 seconds, or until you hear the charger click indicating your new setting is stored.
Unplug the charger and shut off the main switch. Remove your setup wiring and connect the red charger wire to the post.

what algorithm do you use for the 31DCM batteries. I have a delta q charger in my 2015 e2.

Flooded batteries require Algorithm #13

Thank you for the reply. I have a 2015 e2 and the red wire coming out or the charger goes under the dash and there are no wires on the positive battery post. Any help would be appreciated.

The red wire goes to the positive post of the PSDM. You have to remove upper and lower dash pieces to access.