Battery replacement on 2008 E4

Hello, I am new to the forum and have just purchased a really nice 2008 E4 in almost brand new condition. It has only 70 miles on it and was always stored indoors, so it looks brand new. The batteries are the original ones that came with the car and are dated 2008, and of course do not hold a charge.

I am in the process of replacing them and need advice about which ones to go with.
Interstate has an AGM group 31 that looks like it will work as does Batteries Plus. That one iis a Duracell Ultra AGM.

My concern is this. will the charging mechanism work on the AGM batteries… any thoughts or preferences.

thanks very much in advance

1 Like

AGM’s are a good choice. I have them in my 09. The DeltaQ charger will have to be reprogrammed A 5/10 minute process

Rodney

Thanks, how do you reprogram the charger…

It has the original batteries in it now.

I installed 6 new high quality AGM batteries.

I charged them overnight and the battery gauge now reads full and the charger shut off. My question is this. you had said that I will need to reprogram the charger, but it seems to be working and charging the batteries to full. Do I still need to reprogram it or since it is reading full, is everyone working as it should.

thanks

Steve

What is the setting for the charger for AGM batteries, I have found the instructions on youtube to reprogram it. I have the 2008 GEMe4

thanks Steve

I am trying to reset the Delta Q charger. I saw on You Tube how to reprogram it. what is the proper setting for the AGM batteries.
thanks Steve Steve PriceLake Braddock Football(703) 426 1252 football office(703) 919 8990 cellsprice909@yahoo.comsaprice@fcps.edu

GEM chargers arent equipped with a specific AGM setting.

You use the Flooded setting, #13

I have AGM’s in my 2009 E4

Rodney

1 Like

Bob has a burned out unit on the shelf from trying… easier to replace the batteries that were factory issue

Kilowatt answered for me… I tried changing to AGMs and without changing the algorithm of the charger it would only charge the AGM batteries to the point that I’d run them down… my mechanics were never able to change the setting… know Rodney knows how to do it…I went back to the Deka battery and have had no problems… yes they are expensive but way less headaches that messing worth the charger… I burned one out… cost me time and energy… still habging on to the old charger… it sits on the shelf of past failures

Bob

Here is what I got from the Delta Q people about the charger. according to this chart it should algorithm 42 which translates to AGM batteries 80-150ah which mine are.

Let me know what you think
the link is from youtube on how to change the settings
thanks Steve

Selecting a charge profile on the Delta-Q QuiQ Charger

|
|
|
| | |

|

|
|
| |
Selecting a charge profile on the Delta-Q QuiQ Charger
Provides instructions on how to check the default algorithm on a Delta-Q QuiQ battery charger, and change to a n… | |

|

|

Steve PriceLake Braddock Football(703) 426 1252 football office(703) 919 8990 cellsprice909@yahoo.comsaprice@fcps.edu

ok thanks Steve PriceLake Braddock Football(703) 426 1252 football office(703) 919 8990 cellsprice909@yahoo.comsaprice@fcps.edu

GEM OEM chargers don’t have #42 thats why you have to use #13 (flooded) There is really no problem doing this.

1 Like

Ok sounds good. I am going to try to do this tonight
Thanks
Steve

Steve Price
Lake Braddock Football
703 919 8990 cell

Hi Rodney, if you have some time, please give me a call. I am not being very successful at this process. not sure how to disconnect the positive from the charger?
thanks Steve Steve PriceLake Braddock Football(703) 426 1252 football office(703) 919 8990 cellsprice909@yahoo.comsaprice@fcps.edu

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to Rodney. He was able to explain the process to me and talked me thru step by step on the phone and I was able to reprogram the charger with the correct setting

thanks very much

without this forum, I would have been completely clueless to any of this

Steve

1 Like