Battery Life

I’m really new to EV cars. I am seriously considering purchasing one for my next vehicle. My biggest concern is battery life. Is there a general rule for how long most battery’s will last? On top of that is there a general rule for cost replacement to new batterys? Thanks

IF GIVEN PROPER CARE: Flooded Lead Acid 3 to 5 years AGM 5+ years GEL 6 to 9 years. Cost is prgressive starting with Lead Acid. A minimum configuration 12 volt starts at about a hundred bucks. This is a 3 year battery.

In batteries you usually get what you pay for. You can ruin a set of batteries in a year with poor maintance and bad charging practices. Lead acid seem to be able to take the most abuse.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;23352]IF GIVEN PROPER CARE: Flooded Lead Acid 3 to 5 years AGM 5+ years GEL 6 to 9 years. Cost is prgressive starting with Lead Acid. A minimum configuration 12 volt starts at about a hundred bucks. This is a 3 year battery.

In batteries you usually get what you pay for. You can ruin a set of batteries in a year with poor maintance and bad charging practices. Lead acid seem to be able to take the most abuse.[/quote]

Hey Rodney - speaking of opinions (that other thread) I would like to think that you have some good ones from experience with these batteries.

Seems that the charging habit is the most important factor in the life. But what about the environment? I live in Ohio. And the weather is pretty nuts. We don’t really have seasons that adhere to any sort of schedule. A few days ago it was -5 below 0. It will be back to 40 this week. And I bet we will see spring before long. Would it be worth the extra dough for a guy like me to buy the gel type? Or would you be better off re-buying cheaper batteries every 3 years?

Also - any preferred brand? This reminds me of another question I would like to ask, but I will withhold that one for now so I don’t completely derail this man’s thread!

A .big part of the equation is how long your going to keep the vehicle. Gels are the way to go if your going to keep the car a long time. You still have to charge them a couple or three times in the winter. Most people like the fact they don’t have to maintain liquid levels. Next up is AGMs. Maintenance is about the same as GELs - don’t cost as much or last as long as GELS. 3RD on the list is High Quality Flooded (Trojan 1275) Which is a 5+ year battery, IF properly maintained, and watered when needed. Probably the most popular and economical choice for the average owner. Last is Deep Cycle Marine which will last 3+ years with proper maintence. (My choice because I trade often and I’m on flat streets) Automotice batteries should NOT be considered because of their light weight construction and only being designed as a starting battery.

Lithium batteries are now coming on line. They give more range for a given weight but are very expensive. Currently the GO TO for the confirmed Gadget Freak.

GEL batteries are more better, than ordinary bateries. I’m using GEL batery and I have nothing bad to say. It costs a little more, but worth it.

Hi, the battery can cycle about 3000 times.

A lot of people read a lot into cycle life. i’ve heard comments that the lead battery is only good for 1200 cycles etc.

The cycle rating is from full to discharged. We users rarely use a full charge before we recharge. Good practice is to plug in when we get done riding at the end of the day. If we do this and keep the liquid levels maintained the batteries will last a loooooooong time.

My neighbor just changed out his GELS because his range was down to 15 miles. His cart is a 2008.