Battery Indicator Gauge

Hello all - I can really use some help with this issue. I have a 2016 E6 early model., my dash battery indicator is not working, my batteries are fully charged and the indicator is reading dead. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
Lenny

Hi, how did you charge your batteries? With an external charger or with on board charger.?

Does dash lights up and shows C when plugged in?

Hello - Thank you for a quick response. I am charging with the onboard charger, although I did have to charge the batteries at the beginning
of spring with an external charger.
Dash does light, when using the cart and when I initially plug it in.

Thanks again for your help
Lenny

Battery gauge data is still a mystery, based on our testings it’s not only based on battery voltage. apparently it’s also based on how many Ah pass Thru the BMC so if you charged the batteries with an external charger most likely that was the reason. However at some point it should reset

Have you tried letting it finish the charging cycle with the on board charger? Might need a couple cycles to calibrate it

Does it still have full power when all the bars are off or it’s in limp mode?

On late >2016 cars are one or both of the power cables (B-) going through the BMC like they do on the 05-15 Gems?

Yes, B+ in this case but it uses another method not only voltage IMO (I have cars running at HV that SOC sometimes still shows half battery, if based only in voltage it should always show full)

I have left it plugged in when not in use, I assume it finishes the cycle. I have used the cart twice since this started, each time a few miles and It has full power. Everything else on the instrument panel works fine.

Thanks again for your help

It is a early 2016, same body style as 2015. Not sure what you mean by BMC

Which display do you have?
Round - Late?

Or Square - Mid ?

Good cool Byron!! I’m referring to the new model, the old ones can be calibrated

I have the square instrument panel

1 Like

OK then. Yes- when you boosted up with the external charger it bypasses the onboard current register so it did not see the amps entering the batteries. It is very confused.

Resetting the SOC meter should be done when your pack has finished it’s charge cycle. Verify by plugging in the car and making sure your charger fully goes to green light (on the CHARGER Display, not the dash display). Do you know where that is?

You can reset the meter by using the following steps:

• Turn the key on.
  • Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch until it’s showing the
    odometer.
  • While holding the switch down, turn the RIGHT signal on, then the LEFT
    signal, then return the blinker to the center.
  • Release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. You should be seeing data (P0105) on
    the display now. This number may be different depending on your display firmware loaded.
  • Turn the RIGHT signal on, then off repeatedly until the display reads:
    SOC (State Of Charge).
  • Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. Now it’s remaining capacity in percent.
  • You can now raise (or lower, for that matter) the SOC with the blinker
    switch.
  • When you’re happy, Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. The display reads: DONE.
  • Turn the key off.

*Ignore all of the other settings in the secret menu

1 Like

Wow - THANK YOU.
Not sure where the green light is

Lenny Leider
The Leider Group LLC
LG Leider Homes

Sent from my iPhone

Your charger is most likely mounted up under the front hood.
It is on the underside of the shelf where the motor controller is.
You can see it’s display if you look from the driver side over the top of the tire, past the fender towards the middle of the car. The charger is mainly yellow with black fins.

When plugged in you will see a sequence of lights telling you that it has AC power, as well as current charge status.

The display looks like this, but it will be upside down.

Way back in Sept when you changed batteries with what you have now (9- 8v batteries) What did you take out and put back in? Gel/Wet cells?

I took a picture of mine with a cord plug in
IMG_9464

IMG_9467
This is the indicator after a few hours plug in. The batteries that I took out were the original Polaris batteries, I replaced them with batteries from EBSI
IMG_9469

THANK YOU for your help

Were the original Polaris batteries GEL? (sealed cells)
If so you need to change the profile on the charger or it will kill your new flooded batteries in under 6 months.

If so you need to change the profile on the charger or it will kill your new flooded batteries in under 6 months.

This is exactly where I was going.
We should probably check which profile is running on that charger.

1. Unplug charger from the House(supply).
  2. Switch OFF the Main Battery Disconnect (the flippy thing on the bottom of your fuse panel)
  3. Plug Charger back into House supply.
  4. Look at the Charger display.
    – It will do a little boot up sequence and run through all the lights then settle in on a blink sequence. Count those blinks. If it is a multiple number there will be a short pause between the blinks then a longer pause and repeat the code again. It might repeat this sequence maybe three times then switch to a red blink code. This will be a Red(2) blink indicating that it does not see a valid battery pack attached(because we switched it off).
    If it all happened too fast repeat this cycle by unplugging the charger and waiting 20 seconds (or so) for it to reset.
  5. If you got the blink code the first round then unplug charger, flip the Main Disconnect back ON and plug in the charger.

Report back what you find.

1 Like

Good morning - I did exactly what you instructed. Difficult to count the blinks so I took a video in slow mo on my phone. It had 2 blinks then a slight pause and then 4 blinks. This repeated 3 times.

Thanks again.

Great- The list I have shows that as 24 as a Deka 8v Gel.
This really needs to be changed. I’m guessing this profile is not fully charging your 8v wet cell batteries. Long term use is not good for your batteries.

The process for changing profiles is a relatively simple but complex procedure that involves a bit of wild luck an timing skills to get into the programming mode. Some people get it right away, some have problems, cascading into severe frustration and even a bit of PTSD years later.

Let me find you some good instructions.

1 Like