Charger operations?

I am fairly new to the Gem world and have not found my answers through searching the forums so forgive my ignorance. I have a 2005 E4 with a delta q Model 910-7200 there is also a number 7212 on the charger. With the old floded batteries the stat of charge indicator seemed to be working. I did not notice the charger indicators as I was resurrecting the machine from years of sitting and not paying attention to this.

I replaced my batteries with Deka 8-31 gels. last week. The charger algorithm is set for gel batteries.The cart runs well with full power until the batteries get low - then there is little power and speed but the state of charge indicates 100% battery charge. I have learned that holding the cart on a hill using the motor rather than breaks causes a motor overheat and very slow operations but do not think this is related to my charger issues.
The state of charge indicator never goes down when I use the cart. I drove 10 miles yesterday and the indicator never went below 100%.
When I plug in the charger looking at the lights on the charger I get a flashing red fault light and solid AC power indicators. If I unplug the charger and cycle the main power switch and plug in the charger the dash fully lights up including the charging plug in light and then goes out after a short time. At this time the charger may indicate it is charging or just give me a fault light. Repeated attempts will give me the full bars yellow light and AC light on the charger indicating the unit is charging - no dash lights are on after the initial short display of charging mode operation. Fast forward several hours and usually the charger displays the red flashing fault light. Once there was a solid green light indicating full charge.
This morning I cycled things to get (I think) the charger charging. It displayed solid 6 bars and ac power indicators. An hour later it displayed 3 bar light, AC light, and solid 80% charge light indicating it is in the absorption charging phase. I’ll report back if I get a green light or a flashing red light in an hour. Update - now have flashing green light , ac power light and 1 bar solid yellow light.This all seems like a normal charge cycle to me.
I have a few questions
1 What is the normal dash display during charging and when charging is complete?
2 Does the controller measure the state of charge and send this information to the charger and dash? If this is the case I suspect something is flaky with the controller that is causing the charger to misbehave.Any suggestions on what to check here?
3 The charger fault light flashed continually so I have no info to know were to go with this item. Delta Q info is lacking on this one.
Any help would be appreciated.

the soc on the dash and the charger are unrelated , if your dash gauge is showing full bars after driving a while it needs to be recalibrated.

i’m not sure on the 2005 , but on a 2007 you can adjust the soc, how bright you want the display while charging and when running . after full charge , my gauge shuts off to save battery.

[quote=Wattee man;30957]I am fairly new to the Gem world and have not found my answers through searching the forums so forgive my ignorance. I have a 2005 E4 with a delta q Model 910-7200 there is also a number 7212 on the charger. With the old floded batteries the stat of charge indicator seemed to be working. I did not notice the charger indicators as I was resurrecting the machine from years of sitting and not paying attention to this.

I replaced my batteries with Deka 8-31 gels. last week. The charger algorithm is set for gel batteries.The cart runs well with full power until the batteries get low - then there is little power and speed but the state of charge indicates 100% battery charge. I have learned that holding the cart on a hill using the motor rather than breaks causes a motor overheat and very slow operations but do not think this is related to my charger issues.
The state of charge indicator never goes down when I use the cart. I drove 10 miles yesterday and the indicator never went below 100%.
When I plug in the charger looking at the lights on the charger I get a flashing red fault light and solid AC power indicators. If I unplug the charger and cycle the main power switch and plug in the charger the dash fully lights up including the charging plug in light and then goes out after a short time. At this time the charger may indicate it is charging or just give me a fault light. Repeated attempts will give me the full bars yellow light and AC light on the charger indicating the unit is charging - no dash lights are on after the initial short display of charging mode operation. Fast forward several hours and usually the charger displays the red flashing fault light. Once there was a solid green light indicating full charge.
This morning I cycled things to get (I think) the charger charging. It displayed solid 6 bars and ac power indicators. An hour later it displayed 3 bar light, AC light, and solid 80% charge light indicating it is in the absorption charging phase. I’ll report back if I get a green light or a flashing red light in an hour. Update - now have flashing green light , ac power light and 1 bar solid yellow light.This all seems like a normal charge cycle to me.
I have a few questions
1 What is the normal dash display during charging and when charging is complete?
2 Does the controller measure the state of charge and send this information to the charger and dash? If this is the case I suspect something is flaky with the controller that is causing the charger to misbehave.Any suggestions on what to check here?
3 The charger fault light flashed continually so I have no info to know were to go with this item. Delta Q info is lacking on this one.
Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

Slowly working through things. I took apart my T3 controller and other than a little corrosion on the output connection found nothing amiss. However, the charger seem to be working after doing this. I can;t explain it. The State of Charge gague continues to read 100% on a full charge and after 15 miles. Before I abandon the SOC gauge and add another separate meter does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know how to “unstick” or reset the SOC gague? Is this a function of the controller or should I be looking for some battery connection I messed up when I switched the flooded batteries for gel batteries?

you just need to recalibrate your gauge . its easy . the info is on this forum . if you cant find it , let me know and I well get you the procedure . it take less then 2 minutes to recalibrate.

Cant find the info.

Please give us a step by step under a new heading in the battery section

“Reset GE T3 T4 State Of Charge”

This will make it easy for the search function

Rodney

I well get the procedure tomorrow . I just do it from memory so I don’t have it written down . just need to get in front of my gem tomorrow and write it down as I go.

[quote=kinghappy;31330]you just need to recalibrate your gauge . its easy . the info is on this forum . if you cant find it , let me know and I well get you the procedure . it take less then 2 minutes to recalibrate.[/quote
I found this and will try.

The battery SOC indicator works but it does not update to a full pack after a charge without manual intervention when using the charger I installed. The good news is that turtle mode is not tied to the battery indicator, I ride around all the time with the battery indicator on the last red bar. I use the mileage and a BattSIX display to ensure I don’t get stuck someplace. To update the battery SOC indicator manually you can do the following:

State of Charge Indicator

1. Turn the key on.
  2. Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch until it’s showing the
    odometer.
  3. While holding the switch down, turn the RIGHT signal on, then the LEFT
    signal, then
    return the blinker to the center.
  4. Release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. You should be seeing data (P0105) on
    the display now.
  5. Turn the RIGHT signal on, then off repeatedly until the display reads:
    SOC (State Of
    Charge).
  6. Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. Now it’s remaining capacity in
    percent.
  7. You can now raise (or lower, for that matter) the SOC with the blinker
    switch.
  8. When you’re happy, Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. The display
    reads: DONE.
  9. Turn the key off.

you can do this 2 ways .

1. full charge pack and verify individual charge of each battery . do above procedure and set to 100%

2. run your pack down until very low . cart starts to get real slow . now do above procedure and set to 10% .

#2 well make sure your gauge shows low when your pack is . we do this on lithium conversions to make the gauge accurate .

Thanks King I will do this week end. (Car is at my cabin)

[quote=kinghappy;31339]you can do this 2 ways .

1. full charge pack and verify individual charge of each battery . do above procedure and set to 100%

2. run your pack down until very low . cart starts to get real slow . now do above procedure and set to 10% .

#2 well make sure your gauge shows low when your pack is . we do this on lithium conversions to make the gauge accurate .[/quote]

Thanks man!

hello Kinghappy,
My display went bad so i had to replace it.
Since i replace it the state of charge is showing EMPTY when the car is full and when i drive it add green bars, basically work reversely…
i folowed your advice on how to reprogramed it, but since i change my display the trip button won’t work anymore , so it don’t allowed me to enter to the DATA Menu…
Did anybody ever had that issues, any help would be appreciated