Automatic trans fluid

My cousin works for a Ford dealership and has a diesel truck. He installed a second fuel tank on it, the dealership does trans flushes on cars brought in and thus waste oil. They pay to get rid of. He got a electric pump and a water filter to filter the fluid before he pumps it into the tank. fills his tank up at the end of the day. He starts out on regular diesel and about 10 miles down the road he switches over to the trans fluid, about 10 miles before he gets to where he is going he switches back ot diesel. One tank of Diesel lasts him about two months now.

[QUOTE=new dawn;184]My cousin works for a Ford dealership and has a diesel truck. He installed a second fuel tank on it, the dealership does trans flushes on cars brought in and thus waste oil. They pay to get rid of. He got a electric pump and a water filter to filter the fluid before he pumps it into the tank. fills his tank up at the end of the day. He starts out on regular diesel and about 10 miles down the road he switches over to the trans fluid, about 10 miles before he gets to where he is going he switches back ot diesel. One tank of Diesel lasts him about two months now.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

wow… are you serious?

that would be nice for some of those big rigs that go cross country…

i would love to read a wright up by him about the proformance of the truck wile on waste oil/trans fluid vs diesel. i was thinking about building a cooking oil powered diesel truck with a on board filtering station, setup so it would automate the filtering process instead of having a rig in the garage. it seems on used cooking oil you loose about 10% power vs pump diesel. which is not bad at all considering the price.

When I was still driving truck for a living we used to dump a gallon of automatic trans fluid into the tank in the winter time. Winter diesel (#1) has a lot less power in it (lower mpg). The trans fluid did not gel up either.

Every person I have ever talked to who had a veggie powered diesel said they got better milage with veggie than standard diesel.

There are pluses and minus to every fuel, but I never heard of using transmission fluid before!

I have driven over 3000 miles on waste veggie oil in my 83 Mercedes 300SD. I am now saving 270 bucks/month with a system that cost me around $800. I commute 100 miles round-trip/day. The longer the commute, the bigger the savings. ATF works well also, but I did not have a guarateed source, unlike WVO.
WVO exhaust smells better, too!

I wouldn’t want a a tank full of tranny fluid just incase I ever got dipped. As far as running it if I ran it through a 1 micron filter and had an older diesel I might think about it. I just would be leary on new diesel or if it wasn’t filtered well.

My brother is “new dawn” 's cousin. He uses a 1 micron paper filter whole house water filter. He puts about 50% ATF in every tank and has done nothing to modify the fuel system on his Dodge 3500 Cummins (Yes, he works on Ford’s but drives a Dodge :wink:

He gets only slightly less mpg, but at $2.50 per gallon total fuel cost, he doesn’t care. He has used almost 100% ATF, but said the smell was a little too bad coming out the tail, so 50% is all he does. His Cummins is the 24v 3rd gen.

We don’t have the inspections like California and we don’t have a law out-lawing renewable fuels in your tank like California (no veggie-diesel in California now - they want that tax stream more than a green state)

A friend of mine installed a 4cyl diesel in his Jeep & he owns a tranny shop. He experimented w/a couple gallons of T-fluid and then got brave. He now uses 80% T-fluid & has experimented w/100% & hasn’t bought diesel in a long time. He does say the cleaner used t-fluid doesn’t smell as bad and gets a little better mileage. If memory serves the diesel was invented to run on thin oil but not 100% sure. Just thought I would pass it along. His shop is located in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl & if you want his number for info I can get it/pm it to you.

[QUOTE=Rollbar;4980]A friend of mine installed a 4cyl diesel in his Jeep & he owns a tranny shop. He experimented w/a couple gallons of T-fluid and then got brave. He now uses 80% T-fluid & has experimented w/100% & hasn’t bought diesel in a long time. He does say the cleaner used t-fluid doesn’t smell as bad and gets a little better mileage. If memory serves the diesel was invented to run on thin oil but not 100% sure. Just thought I would pass it along. His shop is located in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl & if you want his number for info I can get it/pm it to you.[/QUOTE]

Designed to run on peanut oil. Any thin veggie or petrol oil will work. Even used motor oil will work and that includes synthetic since it is an oil. Lots of synthetic oils available used. Filter and run. Run the stuff in older diesel vehicles. Not the new clean diesel vehicles. If your fuel smells funny you could get dipped. If its not farm diesel your good to go.

Pete :slight_smile:

Greetings!

Many times they actually are the same fluid. Check your manual. Sometimes it says on the power steering fluid cap what fluid to use.

ATF is usually very corrosive and should not be mixed with PS fluid unless specifically allowed in the manual, which I have never seen done.BMW Accessories