Accelerator pedal

Sorry mine is s 2009

@AssyRequired

How do I check the accelerator pedal circuit? I’m getting an error code 5 which seems to be either the pedal, the circuit, or the actuator. The descriptions I read searching the forum seem to differ, but maybe I’m being obtuse!

Larry Ready

Still/Again? Your last post was about having pedal issues back in July.
Is this still on the 2008 car? I remember it was solved by spraying with contact cleaner and cleaning out the socket.

For your 08 you should be looking at the codes for the T4 controller.
Oddly enough I was mentioning a 05 code in your last post here. Post 17

Again. It ran great for several days, then I had a rear wheel bearing disintegrate, ordered a hub from NEVAccessories which was on backorder. Once it arrived I installed it and attempted to test drive the GEM. Pressed the accelerator and right back to the prior situation. I sprayed the connector again without luck. Back to hearing the “clunk” but no movement.

Obviously (to me at least) the hub bearing had no effect on the circuits so it appears to be coincidental.

Yes, this is the same 2008 and a continuation of the ongoing problems.

THanks,

Larry

I’d have a more detailed look at that connector. Specifically Pins 7, 8, 9.

It sounds like you need to partially disassemble the connector and remove the pins one at a time, give the wiper on each pin a little tweak so it grips the pin better and reassemble.

It’s not a difficult thing to do but it does involve a bit of detail work. Is this something you feel you could do?

I’ll give it a shot…

Heres the inside of mine. I tried cleaning it and it helped for a little bit but then slowly fades out again to no pedal

I wound up finding one on a wrecked gem car for $100. Will be putting on this weekend

Perfect. I was also working on several other sources. All of them are either being very difficult to deal with or wanting wayyy too much money for theirs. I don’t deal with scrappers that have jacked up prices.

Don’t toss out your old unit. I might buy that from you.
I would like to also like to figure out exactly what is happening to these pedals.

So we can’t shoot them, light them on fire, crush them with a bulldozer and shoot them into a decaying orbit around the sun?

:sob:

No! These are the mid-gen pedals for the 05-15 cars.

The designers only need to be flogged for mounting them upside down out where the actuator arm slot is pointed up so it can fill up and hold water quite nicely (working theory).

looking closely at the picture it appears the 4 contact fingers have worn through the resistive coating. One solution might be to move those spring loaded contact fingers ~1mm up or down so it contacts the resistive material where it’s not warn off. Another option could be to move the mount plate but with the many mounting pins and the connector it’d be tough to get a 1mm adjustment in only they Y axis.

Another hack might be to determine the resistive range needed and mount POT(s) at the pivot point of the pedal and jumper it into the circuit.

As for the circuit, the top looks to have 2 POTs where to top POT has outputs across the resistor and the 2nd POT is in series with the wiper of the 1st POT.
The lower 2 POTs include separate resistors. The 1st POT is in the middle of 2 series resistors. Lower/ 2nd POT looks to possibly have the wiper in parallel with the upper of the 2 POTS.

There is conductive lubricant on the lower 2 POTs but not the upper 2 POTs.

I doubt they’d need to fill up with water to have the moisture degrade the circuit. Boy they charge an arm/leg for such an inexpensive circuit.

The top track is actually the “Pedal up” switch. Looking close you can see the tiny split in the resistive coating. The second swiper/track down is part of the return signal. Without taking this apart I believe there is a connect on the underside of the stick connecting the two finger boards.

The actual variable pot is the lower one. again, the two wipers are related. The signal goes up one and back on the other but tapped via the other little traces.

Yes, all kinds of crazy going on in these things.

If I remember this story correctly…
This was not a fail pedal. It is one of those that works fine when first run after power up. After xx time it slows down, eventually to a crawl. This usually has people looking at it as a failing battery issue but with no codes I think it is the controller sees it as the driver is just not pressing on the pedal.

Something is heating up. I’m looking at that Trace that looks toasty.

1 Like

I’ll trade you for a bronzed tig pedal from the infamous 02 cauck…