2001 GEM accelerator pedal issues

Hi new guy here. I have 2001 E2. Just recently when I push the accelerator pedal it will start to move then stop and flash code -11. There is nothing interfering with the pedal. I read that the pedal is actually a linemaster switch. Does anyone know have the cover comes off the foot pedal? Anything else I should try?

Thanks

welcome… in looking back at past posts on accelerator pedals I see that beemike03 had a simular problem you might contact him… I have an '05 car and not much help

Bob

[QUOTE=jmarkklock;12096]Hi new guy here. I have 2001 E2. Just recently when I push the accelerator pedal it will start to move then stop and flash code -11. There is nothing interfering with the pedal. I read that the pedal is actually a linemaster switch. Does anyone know have the cover comes off the foot pedal? Anything else I should try?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

This post applies to GEM cars made before 2005. Turn off the master switch. As you push down on the pedal, you should always here a click inside the assembly. If not, the reed switch is bad or out of adjustment. There are two pins that must be pushed in to release the cover. The assembly is bolted to the GEM from inside the cover. The manufacturer’s technical information can be found here:

LINEMASTER Switch Corporation - America’s Foot Switch Leader

My list of alternative sources for GEM parts can be found at the link below. The throttle parts are at the top:

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-electric-vehicles-hev/2626-lists-alternative-superseded-parts.html

Linemaster has great technical support. When ordering repair parts, specify that you have a 5,000 (5K) ohm potentiometer. A spare return spring is great to have around and cost less than $3.

Daniel

Thanks! Great information.

I replaced the entire linemaster pedal. The problem still intermittently exists. It will run sometimes and sometimes it flashes code -11. Could it be a loose wire somewhere. It’s there anyway to defeat the pedal depressed safety feature? Thanks

Do not attempt to defeat the interlock. We have had a 2002 GEM run away because the converter got wet. To kill it with the master switch is difficult because that switch is under the seat. Look for loose connections in the wiring harness. Especially the connectors when sections of the harness come together. We have had this happen on several of our GEMs.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;12152]Do not attempt to defeat the interlock. We have had a 2002 GEM run away because the converter got wet. To kill it with the master switch is difficult because that switch is under the seat. Look for loose connections in the wiring harness. Especially the connectors when sections of the harness come together. We have had this happen on several of our GEMs.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks Daniel, I will try that

Can anyone tell me how to take apart the accelerator pedal. Looks like mine has rivets on the sides? 2002 Gem.
Thanks
Don

[QUOTE=Tracker;13162]Can anyone tell me how to take apart the accelerator pedal. Looks like mine has rivets on the sides? 2002 Gem.
Thanks
Don[/QUOTE]

There are two pins (one on each side) that must be pushed in to remove the top of the accelerator pedal. Once the top the pedal is removed, you will see that the pedal is fastened to the GEM from the inside.

Can you tell me how to install accelerator pedal switch on 2002 Gem car. Pedal was off and switch was remove before i purchase. THANKS

Do you have the pedal?