AC Induction motors made in china

Does anyone know of EV capable AC induction motors available from China?

Paying AC Propulsion 25,000$ for their motor and controller is just rediculous.

its not the motor thats hard, its the inverter…

what are your requirements? ac induction motors aren’t that difficult to get. Just go to a local industrial motor shop

You couldn’t get AC Propulsion’s system anyway unless you’re starting up a new OEM, they don’t sell to individuals doing conversions.

[QUOTE=bowser330;2431]Does anyone know of EV capable AC induction motors available from China?

Paying AC Propulsion 25,000$ for their motor and controller is just rediculous.[/QUOTE]

Azure Dynamics has motor, gear box and controller for under $10,000. Includes alot of accessories.

I am sure you can get anything from china. The only problem is you won’t save any money in the long run. 99% of stuff coming out of china is a cheap knockoff of something else. They don’t last as long and your helping china out. Not worth the money in my book.

Look in the yellow pages and find an industrial motor distributor. That is the place to find your motor, much cheaper than EV I suspect. However, you want a motor designed for using with an AC drive. It is built a little beefier than a standard AC motor and likely has a cooling fan for low speed, heavy load service.

Back in the day when we just used a standard motor on a drive, they would overheat if used under load at less than 50% speed or so for any length of time!

I suspect the “EV” sellers, many anyway, are taking advantage of the lack of industrial electrical knowledge in the EV DIY market.

I don’t know what there is in the way of inverters out there for EV design as my experience is in getting power from the utility grid AC service instead of batteries.

However I do know that AC drives work by converting the AC to DC then using transistors to create varying AC frequency to vary the speed. As far as eliminating the initial stage of converting the AC to DC and just connecting the battery bank to the DC buss directly, it sounds like it wouldn’t be very difficult but I’ve never looked at that.

Hi Bowser330,

I was sent this link that you might be interested in.

I’m not sure if this is true, but if it is then we have a affordable AC motor and Controller with full wiring etc etc.

Hope some one in PA could check this out and report back us all.

I am so hoping it’s not a fraud.

Regards
Rocketman

link Updated: 29/08/2008… sorry

Ebay has this up for auction. May be what you are looking for?

Item # 270269420167

http://www.komatsu.com.au/equipment/new/dumptruckr/Documents/930E_4SE.pdf