353T2 controller settings

I received my GE T2 controller programming kit from http://home.paonline.com/rmeyer32/nevprogramkits.html today and read the 2002 GEM eL controller’s factory programming into the database. I then made the following changes. I’m sure it’s just a first step but I don’t see these as too drastic.

Function # .Description. . . . . . Original … Modified …Results
------------- … ---------------- . . . . . .----------- . ------------ . -------------------------------------
… 02 . . . . . Creep Speed . . . . . . 205 . . . . . 170 . . . Reduced minimum duty-cycle to 5% to reduce jerky starts (was 10%)
… 03 . . . . . Contr. Accel. . . . . . . . . 20 . . . . . . 12 . . . Quicker off the line, less delay
… 06 . . . . . Arm. Accel. . . . . . . . . . 60 . . . . . . 29 . . . Reduce Turf accel to 2.5s (might reduce even further)
… 07 . . . . . Min Field Current . . . . 85 . . . . . . 73 . . . Max motor speed increased (Caution: Could damage stock motor)
… 08 . . . . . Max Field Current . . . 241 . . . . . 251 . . . Increased max torque for better hill-climbing
… 11 . . . . . Turf Speed Limit . . . . 122 . . . . . 128 . . . Turf limit about 22 MPH
… 12 . . . . . Reverse Speed Lmt …144 . . . . . 155 . . . Reverse about 12-15 MPH
… 20 . . . . . MPH Overspeed . . . . . 28 . . . . . . 33 . . . Speed limit about 30-31 before regen starts down-hill

My 2002 eL has 12 inch wheels/tires. These settings improved the eL’s top speed, acceleration and turf-mode drivability. Your settings may differ and change them at your own risk.

I drove around up and down hills for about 5-10 miles with a stop for supper and noticed nothing abnormal other than much higher speeds. I still get regenerative braking and charging pedal-up going down steep hills and I suppose I’d get some if I exceeded the 33 MPH limit I set but that’s plenty fast enough in the little GEM. On our pot-holed streets I’m often well below 20 MPH in some spots. These settings generate some extra heat in the motor so I’ll be wrapping it with aluminum fins soon and maybe adding a blower or air duct to direct more air at the motor.

3 Likes

Made some more “fine tuning” type adjustments to the T2 controller today. Reduced max regen current to 100 amps (it was set to over 200 amps which really threw out the anchor). Readjusted throttle delay ramp-up for better response. Lowered field current to a value of 70 which made a slight difference.

I’m pretty happy with the performance now. Level ground I can get to 30-31 MPH after a while and down-hill maximum is now 33 when full regen comes on. At the 100 amp regen max it doesn’t try to throw you through the windshield (well, not really) but gives a pretty smooth, predictable governor action which should prevent blowing the motor to pieces (I hope).

Overall, I’m very happy with the programming changes. I’ll publish them all for you as soon as I can figure out the best way to do so without spending an hour editing so it looks somewhat normal in the forum posts.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I just reprogrammed my 2002 e2 with Volt 54ah battery 22s. Ride for fun tires.
Followed your initial lead then made some more adjustments. I forgot to get final number on paper before I shut down my old laptop. Parameter #1 was 18 stock and with the ride4fun tires it is 19. Now the speed is as accurate as my cell phone GPS generally. The lower Creep speed is much nicer. Together with a clean and lube of the pedal Mechanism and Pot my control of the low speed is way better. Now the speed limiter is about 32 which lets me drive it at 28 to 30 with the pedal. The power settings have moved me from 24/25 up a steep hill near me to a solid 26 and maybe 27. Way better than the tired lead batteries at about 19 mph. Other drivers must be happier.

This is with the stock GE 5hp motor and a light weight battery with voltage 85 to 90. (92 if I let it go to MAX, but I limit it to 90 volts which I may turn down to 88. )