Gem T3 Controller

I have a 2005 Gem e2, new 7.5 hp motor and want to tweak my T3 Controller, I will have my GEM Car Diagnostics and Programming Kit
For the T3 Controller by this weekend.
I would like know what I should change beside fixing the speedometer setting.

Since your car has a 12.44 gearbox I would not get too aggressive unless you have a High RPM motor. A few of us are interested in programming. I have a handheld for T1 and T2 units and have published my results here on the forum. If you would do a spread sheet on stock settings and your changed settings with reason for changes it would benefit the guys interested in this type of activity. Where did you purchase the kit. How much did it cost? I bought my hand held on Ebay for $200 and consider it money well spent. Iā€™m doing a lot with gearbox ratios and different size motors and the thing is really handy for evaluating different setups.

Rodney

1 Like

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;25066]Since your car has a 12.44 gearbox I would not get too aggressive unless you have a High RPM motor. A few of us are interested in programming. I have a handheld for T1 and T2 units and have published my results here on the forum. If you would do a spread sheet on stock settings and your changed settings with reason for changes it would benefit the guys interested in this type of activity. Where did you purchase the kit. How much did it cost? I bought my hand held on Ebay for $200 and consider it money well spent. Iā€™m doing a lot with gearbox ratios and different size motors and the thing is really handy for evaluating different setups.

Rodney[/quote]
I searched this and found him.
GEM Car Diagnostics and Programming Kit for the T3 Controller
Purchase price $99.00 includes CD and Cables.

The cost was $99.00 with cables and CD.
I had a notice from UPS that I will receive it this Thursday.
I work with a controls expert our company hired a few months ago, heā€™s awesome, build pc boards from scratch, there is nothing this guy canā€™t do, he suggested I get this and he will help me with all the settings.
I have a 7-1/2 hp from ā€œRide4Funā€ didnā€™t need to send in the controller he said, saved my money there, got the larger tires, had them on for a few weeks, slow about taking off but top end was 40 mph, it will run 38 mph now with the smaller type tires, not the stock tires, Iā€™ll give you that info in my next text message.
I will give you all the stock settings and what we changed this weekend when we do it.

[quote=Donkim;25067]I searched this and found him.
GEM Car Diagnostics and Programming Kit for the T3 Controller
Purchase price $99.00 includes CD and Cables.

The cost was $99.00 with cables and CD.
I had a notice from UPS that I will receive it this Thursday.
I work with a controls expert our company hired a few months ago, heā€™s awesome, build pc boards from scratch, there is nothing this guy canā€™t do, he suggested I get this and he will help me with all the settings.
I have a 7-1/2 hp from ā€œRide4Funā€ didnā€™t need to send in the controller he said, saved my money there, got the larger tires, had them on for a few weeks, slow about taking off but top end was 40 mph, it will run 38 mph now with the smaller type tires, not the stock tires, Iā€™ll give you that info in my next text message.
I will give you all the stock settings and what we changed this weekend when we do it.[/quote]

This was the information on the website:

GEM Car Diagnostics and Programming Kit
For the T3 Controller

If you have the GE IC3645SR7A353T3 Controller
You can Now Program or Diagnose Failures Using GE Sentry Software.
These Controls are Generally Used in 2005 Models.

I would guess that most people with a Gem knows the website Ride 4 Fun, he was very helpful and talked me through switching out the motor and what I needed to do and what not to do. The larger tires was nice but mine are much sportier and way faster on take off, last week I installed 6 new Trojan Batteries the SCS225, the old batteries was over 5 years old, my Gem has 1500 miles on it with hard doors, a golf bag holder and large trunk, I was wanting the small bed. I also added a radio/gps/dvd/backup camera I bought off ebay, it even plays local tv with my boomerang antenna and a 12v analog converter.

Iā€™ll be interested in what brand adapter you use to talk to your laptop.

Rodney

I should get it today, I had to purchase a usb to serial adapter, my laptop doesnā€™t have a serial adapter plug.
I will update you later today when I get home from work.

Don

Got my usb to serial adapter for my laptop, the GE T3 Controller adapter cable and software was shipped today, so it will be a few more days before I get into the controller.

Don

Don

Interested in the serial to usb adaptor - not all of them work with the kit.

Rodney

I asked which ones works, he said the Tripp-Lite Model #U209-000-R.
We use it on all controllers at work, never failed yet connect yet. I work at an industrial lighting company, lots of CNC equipment and servo controlls. His website suggested a much more costly one, I could have borrowed one from my company, but I wanted my own. Will update you in a few days.

Don

Thanks

Rodney

I have everything, installed the software and the usb to serial adapter, had a few problems, I read all the PDF files that come on the CD, very helpful. After an evening of failures I read more, this time it said to turn the key on, no instead of getting all Zeroā€™s on the readout, it now shows all the Counts and their Values. I saved it out as original file for safe keeping, then I could print out the settings, I have yet to make any changes, just double click on each Function and make the changes, just need to know more before I do.
My adapter does work, Iā€™m running XP on an older PC that even has a serial 9-pin connector, didnā€™t find it until I had finished and was unhooking everything.
I will post later on what Iā€™ve changed and what the original settings were, but not sure how to do that on the forum.

Don

I have downloaded the GL3T technical guide, along with all the other PDF files that came with my software GE Sentry Programming Kit, I can read and save to the controller, but I havenā€™t made any changes of yet.
I want to change my speed readout, with the 7-1/2 hp motor its reading half of what its doing.
I wanted to shut of or decrease the regen braking, wanting it to feel more like a car when you let off and coast.
Don

You can shut off the the regen but you cant do anything about the readout. R4F does controller mods to correct readout for $275. I hate the regen and shut it off on mine. Good luck. The T3, T4, and T5. arent as programmable as the T1 and T2. T2 is best.

Here are the settings I have downloaded from my T3 controller

So what changes have you tried? Did you get the response you was looking for? Iā€™m thinking about purchasing a programming kit. Iā€™m no button pusher and only want to make changes that are safe to the equipment so Iā€™m very interested in these conversationsā€¦ :gossip:

Donnie

Very interesting discussion. Iā€™ll be following it.

Les

Me Tooā€¦ Thank you for posting. I have a 2008 e2 with the 7hp Gem factory issue motor. 15" tires.

Donkim. If you want a really fast car you need my 8.9 differential instead of the low gear model you have. Let me know if you are interested in a trade. If you do swap then you would need to consider that in the controller mod.

any update on what values and parameters you ended up finding most effective for your car?